News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear friends, here is a medal bar that I think is a bit unusual, I'm having hard time figuring out the criteria of such a combination and origin. It features a centenary medal, a service medal from Saxony Kingdom, no other Saxony awards but a Saxe-Weimar order of white falcon. Please share your thought.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, I will take more photo when I have the chance.

I can't tell from the photo, but if it's a Saxon Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2.Klasse, that would fit for a reserve officer. Or he was an active NCO, as Beau Newman suggests, and later commissioned.

The lack of any Saxon awards would seem to indicate that he was a.D. before 1914 and was recalled into Prussian, rather than Saxon service.

A Centenary Medal would indicate he was on active duty in 1897. Saxons who got the Centenary Medal were normally either from regiments stationed in Alsace-Lorraine (IR 105 and FußAR 12), or were commanded to Prussian units or schools at the time.

With Oldenburg and Hamburg, maybe a navy connection. He might have been a native of Saxe-Weimar.

• 4 years later...
    On 11/12/2014 at 10:59, lew said:

So is such a bar id-able?

It should be, as it is an unique combination for sure, but the fact our sources are far from complete might make it unidentifiable nonetheless. Dave explained the wearer's background very well... a good start! I think there are chances.

Edited by saschaw

On 10/12/2014 at 21:14, VtwinVince said:

Great medal bar, you don't see White Falcons that often, and also the reduction Centenary Medal is nice. I doubt that this one is ID'able, not enough orders. What color is the backing cloth?

Hi is that reduced size centenary a 30mm prinzen?

• 2 years later...

No sure if you're adressing me, or Alex K, or both of us, but I just wanted to bump this thread up again.

Maybe someone could solve the "riddle" now, with improved information, or by sheer coincidence!

:whistle: