News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys - According to "251 Divisions"...

“The 239th Division belonged to the series of 12 divisions (231st to 242nd) formed in Germany at the beginning of 1917, a strong proportion (50%) of the 1918 class. Recruited from the 11th and 18th Corps Districts (electorate of Hesse, Thuringia, and Hesse-Nassua, and the Grand Duchy of Hesse”.

In the book, there is no mention of an SA but I have seen reference to it in other places. So, my question is this... were the SA and the division formed simultaneously? In other words, was SA intended to be organic to the division or was it, coincidentally, attached to the division after the division itself was formed? The formation of these divisions is somewhat late and the SA were relatively "established" at this time. So, I'm curious if the formation of these divisions incorporated the inclusion of such specialty units (whether SA or something else).

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Hi,

The SA on the divisional level (not only the late ones) can be found more or less from 1917 onwards... They are no fixed size and it seems basically to have been up to the division as to how it was composed..

the 204th called theirs the Sturmtrupp Kompagnie... It was taken from units within the division... their denomination was also not official as they were not really recognised outside of their division.... Unlike the orginal "Sturm Abteilung" and the Sturmbataillons that followed...

Thanks for the responses. I think my understanding of these units is a bit off. I was under the impression that there were a limited number of Sturm units and that were relatively independent - that they were often attached to divisions or even higher commands. These were the units produced based on the success of the Rohr group. However, I see now that there were all sorts of variations, some larger than others and they could be organized in variable ways.

So, in this case, it seems reasonable to assume the Sturm Abteilung of 239 Division was a unit formed from the division? By 1917, did most or all divisions have some kind of Sturm unit - whether battalion, company or even platoon size?

Hi Brian!

Yes, that´s right.The mnost of the divisions had their own storm unit. Normally they wered called "Abteilung". Their strength was different.

The official units were only 18. Bataillon 1-12 ; 14-17 and two companies (13 and 18, 18 became a bataillon in 1918)

A nice book is: Stormtroop tactics, innovation in the german army 1914-1919 by Bruce I. Gudmundsson

I don´t know if there was a divisional history written.The division had the Inf.Rgt. 466, 467 and 468.

By the Entente it was rated at 3rd class and was set-uo early 1917

Theatres:

1917: Champagne and Flandres

1918: Picardy, Illandes, Lorraine, Avricourt and Champagne

I am interested in an award rendered to a member of the division's Sturm Abteilung on July 17, 1917. So, I will see what I can find about the division's whereabouts and actions in the Champagne region at that time. Thanks again for the feedback.

Hello Brian! Which award was it?

Here is the calendar of that division until end of july 1917.

31.3.-5.4. Stellungskämpfe in der Champagne, 3rd army

6.4.-16.5. Doppelschlacht Aisne-Champagne, 3rd army

21.5.-27.5. Doppelschlacht Aisne-Champagne, 1st army

28.5.-11.10. Stellungskämpfe bei Reims

For that period the division was only mentioned once in the Reichsarchiv (vol. XII)

22.-23.5. The 227th and 239th divisions were "task-forces" behind the "Gruppe Prosnes" and the left wing of "Gruppe Reims"

The map above shows may, 20. You see the division was transfered from the 3rd army to the 1st army near Juniville.

The second map shows that the division changed their position with the 19th division since may 30.

These are my only maps about that division. But if he had recieved the award in july, he probably fought for that in the "Stellungskämpfe bei Reims"

Edited by The Prussian

Ah, very cool. As I am a WWII guy, I don't have much research material on WWI troops. These maps, and the information you shared, are consistent with the one book I do have - "251 Divisions" states that the division was deployed northeast of Reims at the time (around June 10th, so the May 31st switch shown on the map jives). So, I'm guessing the award is related to trench raiding or some kind of fast attack on or just before the 17th. Oh, and its an engraved EK1, but don't tell Chris. :whistle:

It's a tough one to photograph but I will follow up. It was a MAX Show pick-up. I was there to sell, and just after I sold a choice medal bar to Don, this cross came into view. Even without knowing the details about the division and its SA, I knew I couldn't pass it up. Luckily I had the money from the medal bar sale, although the purchase did ultimately go against plans. It's a KAG and here is the obverse...

Hi Chris - Yup, this one I feel very good about. In the world of engraved EKs, this one shows honest wear and consistent patina throughout. You can really see how well it all matches in the area where 239. Inf. Div. is carved out. I find that engraved crosses are especially hard to photograph given the various reflections, but this one is totally convincing in hand.

• 2 months later...