News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thoughts on recently aquired flag

Hi all....I recently picked up this flag from a veterans family. It measures roughly 10.6 ft X 6.6 ft. Nice period construction, snaps, and design of the Hohenzollern Eagle. The white has turned into a grey cast presumably from bunker oil smoke. It does have a slight pungent odor that has diminished with age. Unfortunately there are no markings on the header. Swallowtail design.

I believe it may be a toppflagge for the SMS Preussen (1903-1931, but converted into a depot ship in 1920) or a "Royal Ships Ensign for use in Inland Waters. The latter would have been used whenever a Prince of Hohenzollern was aboard a vessel in inland waters (Lake Wannsee for instance).

Due to the size, I am leaning toward it being a toppflagge. Any observations from the group would be appreciated.

Finally...any thoughts on value?

Thanks much!

Posted · Hidden by Nick, December 31, 2014 - Complaint from K Weed
    Hidden by Nick, December 31, 2014 - Complaint from K Weed

There is a guy who calls himself "old flags wanted" on the Wehrmacht Awards forum that could probably help you. He always chimes in when flags are shown and he seems quite knowledgeable.

Chip

I know Ben K. Weed and he is not the expert you think he is. Yes, he is very knowledgeable about flags but he is lacking in knowledge when it comes to Imperial items, IMO. I wanted to get some opinions here but apparently there aren't any.

Just trying to help. Weed may not be an expert, but he knows more than anyone here regarding flags. Perhaps someone on one of the imperial navy websites could assist?

Chip

Yes...Flags can be a real problem sometimes. Do you know of another forum that deals with Imperial militaria?

Thanks for your assistance!