News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Outer card box

I've seen quite a few outer cardboard boxes for sale over the last few months and always find it a little suspect when something, which up until recently wasn't too easy to find in the condition they all appear to be in at the moment, comes on to the market.

Or has someone just found a stash of boxes?

Below is an example of a good one, I hope.

Tony

Yes indeed it is, the recipient's name is penciled at the top of the paper label but is too faded to read. It was one of the first pieces of German militaria I ever bought.

With the amount of outer boxes I've seen for sale online I wouldn't want to to be buying one at the moment, but perhaps I'm just over cautious.

I wonder if we are seeing more because they are so expensive - collectors may be cashing in?

I have one too. I've had it for about 12 years or so. In this case, it is a cased Godet to Feldwebelleutnant Gebhard of Reserve Infantry Regiment 212. I have no specific information on him, but I know this unit was primarily from Prussian Pomerania. The unit fought exclusively on the Western Front throughout the war - Flanders, Somme, Argonne etc.

Yes that's a possibility I suppose.

Great set you have there and all the better for knowing who the recipient was. If anyone has an idea of how to photograph faded writing to help identify the name please let me know.