News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What I used to do with Soviet medals "back in the old days"

Warning: These photos may make you feel sick. And perhaps slightly upset. I feel your pain...as they make me upset too. But, I am the one responsible for them because I did them.

You've been warned! :D

Back in the mid-90s (1995-1997 to be exact), a fellow collector really had a "thing" for Soviet generals and mounted medals. So, in trade for other militaria, and often giving me the money to buy the medals up front, I made these up for him. At the time, you must remember, Red Banners were selling for $20-$25 a piece, RBLs for $15-$20, Orders of Glory for $15, For Valor medals for $12-$15, Red Stars for $15-$20...sigh...those were the days!

The naval uniform was one I had on a coat form in my collecting room. Of course, all of the medals were 100% original. The table of medals was taken by my dad when I joined the Navy (1998). He inventoried them and sent them all to me. This was while he was inventorying them. Who knew any of these would be worth much a decade down the road???

So here are a few of my projects that I made for him. I WISH I had all of these now...who knows what research would show about these medals now???????

I remember those days. I started collecting Soviet awards in 1992.  I wish I were more than an E3 at the time, so I could have picked up more.  I knew that they would go up some day. Despite my low enlisted rank, I was able to obtain some really cool groups that I would never be able to afford today, even though my pay is much higher.  I remember people giving me crap as late as 2000, saying that they would never be worth anything.  

Among my favorites is the screwback ORB that I picked up from Igor back in 1994 for 90 dollars.  After research, it was determined that it belonged to a Major for recon results in Stalingrad.  I remember that paying the 90 dollars for the ORB required consideration because I could buy four regular ORB for that price.  

My regret was that I did not pick up a Nevsky for 240 dollars... It is still one of the more attractive orders.  

My regret was that I did not pick up a Nevsky for 240 dollars... It is still one of the more attractive orders.  

Similar experience.

Back in around 2002-2003 I met this dealer and he had about 10 Nevskys screwbacks for $300 a piece. I took my time and really made sure I picked up the most good looking one.

I should have gotten all 10 of them, he told me they would be about $250 each as a bulk purchase.

Edited by new world

Warning: These photos may make you feel sick. And perhaps slightly upset. I feel your pain...as they make me upset too. But, I am the one responsible for them because I did them.

You've been warned! :D

Back in the mid-90s (1995-1997 to be exact), a fellow collector really had a "thing" for Soviet generals and mounted medals. So, in trade for other militaria, and often giving me the money to buy the medals up front, I made these up for him. At the time, you must remember, Red Banners were selling for $20-$25 a piece, RBLs for $15-$20, Orders of Glory for $15, For Valor medals for $12-$15, Red Stars for $15-$20...sigh...those were the days!

The naval uniform was one I had on a coat form in my collecting room. Of course, all of the medals were 100% original. The table of medals was taken by my dad when I joined the Navy (1998). He inventoried them and sent them all to me. This was while he was inventorying them. Who knew any of these would be worth much a decade down the road???

So here are a few of my projects that I made for him. I WISH I had all of these now...who knows what research would show about these medals now???????

That medal bar you created on the three star general would cost freaking 1000s....  Maybe greater than 10G today.  Amazing.

Thanks for the comments. :) The sad thing is that I dread that someone might have tried to sell these as "real" groups at some point. I have never seen them for sale before, but I lost touch with the guy who bought them and as you know, stuff does get sold out onto the market. Here are a few more, as I enjoyed scanning big groups of medals. The Glories image is pretty big, so you can use it as a desktop background if you'd like. :)

My God you have probably had millions of dollars worth come through your hands. I wish I had a time machine.

This is a bit off topic but what are regular/nothing fancy Nevsky's going for these days? 

Eric

In the current market anywhere from 1k to 2k for the regular stuff, depending on condition, if you factor in research and variant etc. it can go for much more.

Most of the stuff on the bay and similar sites have been listing at 2k and above.

Thanks Rogi.

Yipes!!!! I thought they were pricey at 450-600 a few years back, but I have always liked them...Well I don't think I'll ever get one of those :(

My pleasure Eric,

I was fortunate to pick that one up that I posted and recipient is a Double Nevsky recipient during the war :) (only around 200 Double Nevsky recipients out there and about 45 for both in war time)