News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wehrpass to a severely wounded Eastern front soldier

Johannes Günther was born 11.01.1907 and was a bricklayer by profession, he was called up for service on 19.06.1941. He served with the following units:

19.06.1941: 2./ Landes– Schützen–Ersatz–Bataillon 9 

08.08.1941: 4./ Feldgendarmerie–Ersatz–Abteilung 3

16.08.1941: Genesenden–Kompanie Landes–Schützen –Ersatz–Bataillon 9

22.08.1941: 1./ Landes–Schützen–Bataillon 638

21.02.1942: Genesenden–Kompanie Landes–Schützen–Ersatz–Bataillon 9

27.02.1943: Heeresentlassungsstelle 2/IX 

30.04.1943: released from service

Unfortunately I don´t know why he served with a military police unit for one week. He was trained with the Gewehr 98, the czech counterpart Gewehr 24(t) and the czech light machine gun MG-26(t). From 22.08.1941 on he took part in the russian campaign. He was severely wounded on 20.02.1942, he was shot trough his perineum and testicles. He was released from service on 30.04.1943 because of this wound. He was awarded the following medals:

31.03.1942: Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz 1939

21.05.1942: Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber 1939

20.08.1942: Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten (Ostmedaille)

26.11.1942: Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse 1939

Edited by turtle

Hello.

What is apparent by the 1944 Nachuntersuching or follow-up medical check how critical replacements were that even those who through severe wounds were no longer fit to serve, were again checked out. Iif perhaps just perhaps they could serve somehow in some capacity or other.

That to my knowledge did not take place during WW I. Total bankruptcy prevailed.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Yes, the 3rd Reich was really desperate in his final stage to scrape every man (who was at least partially fit for service) together. Have a look a this set, being nearly 60 years old and "bedingt kriegsverwendungsfähig: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60693-wwi-militaerpass-jaeger-bataillon-wwi-wehrpass-documents/?hl=prasse