News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to research WW2 POW service, medal entitlement, etc?

Hi all,

I have here one nice George V Efficiency medal with the "Territorial" scroll. Medal was awarded to "5377520 GNR.S.H.G.ELLIOTT RA". Thank you to the help of other forum member, I was pointed out that he was a POW during WW2.

Can someone please advise how I can research this man's service and also what else he was entitled to in order to get his set together? I was initially thinking that because George V period medal, he had service in the WW1 instead.

Any help and ideas would be great!

Timo aka Noor

S. H. G.
    Last name Elliott
    Service number 5377520
    Prisoner of war number 4151
    Rank Lance Corporal
    Regiment The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
    Camp type STALAG
    Camp number 20A
    Camp location Thorn Podgorz

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Timo,

Download the files for Request for Service Personnel Details, general enquirer's form and Request for Service Personnel Details: British Army part 2 here https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Fill out the details and send it all off not forgetting proof of death e.g. death cert. copy and the 30 GBP fee. A bit expensive if you're just curious as the death certificate has to be paid for too.

Tony

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I was googling my grandfather and found this post. This is my grandfather, this is his medal and I was wondering how I contact so that I can discuss purchasing it off you. I am an ex military member and it is important that families medals stay in the family if possible. 

Regards

I would first try the link Tony provided.  I have found researching British Medals are a lot easier than German ones.  As for Chrissy, I would provide documentation of proof of him being your relative and send it tot he owner.  Most people respect that and normally things work out.  Best of luck to both of you.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 10:38, Noor said:

Hi all,

I have here one nice George V Efficiency medal with the "Territorial" scroll. Medal was awarded to "5377520 GNR.S.H.G.ELLIOTT RA". Thank you to the help of other forum member, I was pointed out that he was a POW during WW2.

Can someone please advise how I can research this man's service and also what else he was entitled to in order to get his set together? I was initially thinking that because George V period medal, he had service in the WW1 instead.

Any help and ideas would be great!

Timo aka Noor

S. H. G.
    Last name Elliott
    Service number 5377520
    Prisoner of war number 4151
    Rank Lance Corporal
    Regiment The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
    Camp type STALAG
    Camp number 20A
    Camp location Thorn Podgorz

16 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Hi All

I was googling my grandfather and found this post. This is my grandfather, this is his medal and I was wondering how I contact so that I can discuss purchasing it off you. I am an ex military member and it is important that families medals stay in the family if possible. 

Regards

Lance Corporal S H G Elliott was reported missing in action in France on 21 June 1940 while serving with the 1st Bn, Oxfordshire and Buckingham Light Infantry, and later reported a German prisoner of war.  His WWII medals would be 1939-45 Star and 1939-45 War Medal along with the Efficiency Medal.  He most have enlisted in the RA after his release in 1945.

Thank you Gunner, I am in the process of filling in the documentation to get his military records. I live in Australia, so its a bit of a chore, but well worth it. Any information is helpful, as he didn't tell my mother much about his time in the war, and when I was a child went back to the UK from Australia.

7 hours ago, ostprussenmann_new said:

I would first try the link Tony provided.  I have found researching British Medals are a lot easier than German ones.  As for Chrissy, I would provide documentation of proof of him being your relative and send it tot he owner.  Most people respect that and normally things work out.  Best of luck to both of you.

thank you, Noor has contacted me and is willing to help. Thanks to you all so much for your time in reading and responding to my request.

Regards
    Chrissy