News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swiss Role

Hi All

One point that has often intrigued me re the Great War is ; What battles and engagements (if any) took place in the immediate vicinity of the Swiss Border ? 

Was the war there as intense as on the other parts of the Front...or was it relatively calm ?

Were there any massive artillery bombardments and fierce aerial combats here ?

And were there any instances of incursions (accidental or otherwise) into Swiss territory ?  If so, how did the Swiss monitor or control this edge of the Line ?

Hoping someone can clarify these points. Regards Jeff

:-(

I thopught this would be about cake :-(

Just a facetious pun.....sorry.

Re the "go figure" retort...that's just what I thought I was doing !  I just needed a little help that's all.

Anyway gentlemen, very many thanks for your replies (and the link)...much appreciated I assure you. Regards Jeff

Re the "go figure" retort...that's just what I thought I was doing !  I just needed a little help that's all.

. Regards Jeff

Not a retort aimed at you.... I just find it hilarious that a neutral country can do a mega series of books on their part in a war they did not take part in.... it really has more volumes than the German history!

Sorry Chris, I should learn not to be so "touchy".  My apologies.

Yes, I would imagine it might be a bit tricky in the heat of an aerial combat to ensure one didn't drift off over the Swiss border, and as for the odd stray shell (or gas attack) impinging on neutral territory, I guess that would be quite a worry for both sides too !

I can see I will have to try and locate some of these Swiss tomes to see if I can learn more about this very unusual and complex situation. Many thanks once again to both of you. Regards Jeff