News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. George Cross, 5th class; and the Order of St. Anna, 5th class during early 1800s

rnelsonlv

I am enquiring about a Swedish soldier named Carl Gadd (1784-1857) and three medals he is thought to have earned during the Napoleonic Wars, two from the imperial Russian government. The Swedish award is an undefined medal for bravery in the field. From the Russians he is listed as having received the St. George Cross, 5th class; and the Order of St. Anna, 5th class. (more details below). This seems to me rather extraordinary, but perhaps not as I am not an expert in such militaria.

I have looked up the basic info on wikipedia, but would appreciate further details. For example, are there indexes or other archival records referencing those awarded such medals, serial numbers, etc.

He is listed in the Swedish Central Soldiers Register in the 54 Kalmar regiment Fagerhults parish and Horna rotation ("Centrala Soldatregistret vid LIV Kalmar regemente för Fagerhults socken och Horna rote"). On the General Muster Rolls for 1806 it seems he was in Pomerania. Of the roll from 1817, Carl had a farewell after 14 years as a soldier. It notes he has been awarded a medal for bravery in the field. ("Av Generalmönsterrullorna för 1806 verkar han var i Pommern. Av rullan frÃ¥n 1817 framgÃ¥r att Carl fÃ¥tt avsked efter 14 Ã¥r som soldat. Han har fÃ¥tt medalj för tapperhet i fält.")

It seems he was dismissed as a decorated soldier with the Imperial Russian St. George Cross in 5th class and a Bravery Medal. ("avskedande, med Kejserliga Ryska S:t Georgkors i 5te klassen och en Tapperhetsmedalj decorerade Soldaten Carl Peter Gadd.")

Other notes:

He was in the war in Pomerania 1805-1807. Then he participated in the war in Finland 1808-1809 first on Gotland, where the Russians had gone ashore, although no shots were fired. Then he was moved up to Finland to 1809 and saw action in the battle of Västerbotten at Savar on 19/8 (a Russian victory) and 20/8 at Ratan (a Swedish victory). He participated in this war as one of the Hunters = Scouts. In 1813 he battled in Germany against Napoleon, then came home to Hisingen 1814 where he went directly up to Norway, where the last shot of the war were fired at Rakkestads church at Østfold the 6/8 1814. Fred commanding : Camp in SkÃ¥ne in 1805. Camps in Västervik 1808. Work on the canal 1815. Pardoned by a Medal for bravery in the field ditto with Russian St. Anna Order's 5th Class.

"Noteringar:

Krigskommendering: Kriget i Pommern 1805-1807. Kriget i Finland 1808-1809 först pÃ¥ Gotland där ryssarna hade gÃ¥tt i land inget skott avlossades sedan upp till Finland för att 1809 delta i slagen i Västerbotten vid Sävar den 19/8 rysk seger och den 20/8 vid Ratan svensk seger deltog i detta krig som Jägare = spanare. 1813 i Tyskland mot Napoleon när de kom hem till Hisingen 1814 direkt upp till Norge där sista skottet i krig avlossades vid Rakkestads kyrka vid Östfold fylke den 6/8 1814. Fredskommendering: Läger i SkÃ¥ne 1805. Läger i Västervik 1808. Arbete pÃ¥ Göta kanal 1815. BenÃ¥dad med Medaille för tapperhet i fält dito med ryska S:t Anna ordens 5te Class." 

Any help, suggestions etc. is most welcomed.

Cordially,

Richard Alan Nelson

Rnelsonlv@gmail.com