News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pakistan Medals

Riley1965

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping that Ed and / or some other knowledgeable source will give us more details on the criteria for award for all of these. Perhaps even the regulations, along with some examples of citations.

I have an older Tamgha-i-Basalat which is a relatively simple round medal with crescent and star (unnamed).

Edited by Hugh

Again, I have an older Tamgha-i-Imtiaz ( round planchet with a trefoil flower in the center bearing Urdu inscriptions). Outside the flower, the obverse bears what appear to be Hindi inscriptions. The medal is named to Pak/946 Gp. Capt. T. H. Merchant (Perhaps of the Merchant/Ivory family?)

I'd love it if someone could provide the history.

Class II

Got a lovely one of these - Mint condition. Must never have been issued. Got it from Mirza Coin in Islamabad in 1993.

Edited by Hugh

Muhammad Ali Jinnah was, of course, the founder of Pakistan. There's an impressive memorial to him in Karachi. He was (opinion) an intransigent old cuss who died within a few months (weeks?) of Partition. Never did ask what Quaid-i-Azam means. Ed?

The service medals referred to on this page have since been issued. Frankly, they're not as good as previous medals.

I've never seen the bars for subsequent awards. Has anyone else? Could you please post images?

The notes were probably composed after a generous offering of Murree beer in the Pearl Continental Hotel Rawalpindi; part of the Pearl chain which also included the PC Peshawar which I also visited frequently whilst working with the PAF Rear Air Headquarters.

I look forward to comments / corrections / fervid denials from all parties.

• 1 month later...

Hugh,

Thank's very much for posting this - I found it most interesting, especially the illusitation of the Imtazi Sanad - not seen one on the market. The challange of researching pakistan medals and their recipients is formidable.

One of the stumbling blocks for your Group Captain, like other awards to officers are the unavailability of Navy, Army & Air Force lists, or at least as far as I know. Can you shed any light on this situation? Does the Gazette of Pakistan function like the London Gazette in announcing awards, officer promotion, etc? I have never seen it so I could be very wide of the mark.

I have managed to collect a number of Pakistan Medals commerating the creation of in 1947 to both Pakistani nationals and attached British officers and would love to flesh out their service.

Regards,

Matthew B.

Edited by nwfrontier

Hugh,

Thanks very much for posting this - I found it most interesting, especially the illustration of the Imtazi Sanad - not seen one on the market. The challange of researching Pakistan medals and their recipients is formidable.

One of the stumbling blocks for your Group Captain, like other awards to officers are the unavailability of Navy, Army & Air Force lists, or at least as far as I know. Can you shed any light on this situation? Does the Gazette of Pakistan function like the London Gazette in announcing awards, officer promotion, etc? I have never seen it so I could be very wide of the mark.

I have managed to collect a number of Pakistan Medals commemorating the creation of in 1947 to both Pakistani nationals and attached British officers and would love to flesh out their service.

Regards,

Matthew B.

Greater minds (or at least knowledge banks) than mine are needed. I've done hardly any research into my Pakistan medals, and only a couple are named. I hope / expect Ed will weigh in shortly.

Best,

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for thee lovely posts of the various Pakistan orders and decorattions.

I have just seen these because I can no longer access this website from my new computer with the new explorer browser, so only get a chance to drop by once in a while.

Pakistan did leave the Commonwealth, but not be cause or at the time it became a republic in 1956. It left in 1971 because of the decision of several Commonwealth countries to recognise or support Bangladesh and to admit that country to the Commonwalth. However, Pakistan was allowed to rejoin som years later, was again suspended under ul-Huq and re-admitted at a later stage.

Imtiaz=honour or distinction. So I suppose the decoration would translate as the "order of distinction".

Most Indian sources are very unfair to Jinnah. Yes he was stubborn, but that was the only "division" this pope had at his disposal.

Cheers

James

Nice to see you back, James. It's always been my impression that, whatever the politics of the moment, both the Indian and Pakistani forces have been relatively faithful to many of the British traditions, like many other former colonies.

It also seems to me that, despite apparent favoritism toward India by the Viceroy and his consort, Mr. Jinnah got most of what he wanted, with terrible costs to both countries, both then and now.

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

It also seems to me that, despite apparent favoritism toward India by the Viceroy and his consort, Mr. Jinnah got most of what he wanted, with terrible costs to both countries, both then and now.

I wonder how much hotter the potato would be if all three Muslim areas (Pakistan, Bangladesh and Azad Kashmir) were being ruled by India today. I am sure the terrorist problem would be ten times worse and every few years there would be the odd riot and killing spree. As it is there have been a few now and then. Probably what was meant to be happened in 1947. Of course, India had a chance in 1971 to persuade the East Pakistanis to join the greater "secular" state. Obviously, there were no takers. On either side.

Cheers

James