News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pakistan Medals

Riley1965

I would like to share this medal group that I just picked up. The Pakistan independence medal is named to 3232882 NK. Sardar Ali CPMP. Given the wear it would appear the recipient wore these often and with pride. I suppose researching this chap would be quite difficult then?

Regards,

Des

des-military_0012.jpg

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Des

Sadly, you are correct about the research. Ed Haynes - a former member of the group - who was one of the pioneer experts on post '47 Indian and Pakistani medals said this: "As hard as it is to get reliable published information on Indian medals after 1947 (so far), it is 10 to 20 times more difficult when it comes to Pakistan!" in 2006. I doubt much has changed. However, he runs this web site: http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php? Perhaps he can help.

There is also, I believe, one book on Medals of Pakistan. Plus, Lawrence Strong & Megan Robertson will likely chip in here. They both have knowledge in this area as well.

BTW, welcome to the GMIC!

Peter

I like it myself, however I have been at odds with Ed more times than we have agreed.....come to think of it I do't think we have ever agreed.

If you go to Sagongs be prepared to be savaged.........

The book Brian talks about is this one:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/medals-catalogue-of-pakistan-by-yahya-qureshi-and-rafiq-kasbati/103923995

It can be found on Ebay for very little money and is at this point in time probably the best book available, though not totaly complete.

later

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hello Fellows,

I have not been in contact with Ed for a while but when we last communicated he informed me that he was beginning work on a book covering Pakistan medals and decorations. His work on the Medals and Decorations of Independent India took years to complete and considering his need to be accurate I expect it will not be published for and equally long time.

Hello Des,

Welcome to the GMIC

Your group has everything collectors of Pakistani groups like to see and in the condition that is most desirable. There can be no doubt that this is an original group simply from the ribbons alone. Along with the 1939-45 Star and Medal we can see he served in Burma, has the India war Service Medal and then, of course, the Pakistan Independence Medal. It shows an important era of history not only for India and pakistan but for the world itself. As you can tell these are my favourite type of groups.

Well done.

As has been said, research is nearly impossible and probably will be for loger than I like to think about. What is impressed on the edge of the Independence meal?

Regards

Brian

I like it myself, however I have been at odds with Ed more times than we have agreed.....come to think of it I do't think we have ever agreed.

If you go to Sagongs be prepared to be savaged.........

The book Brian talks about is this one:

http://www.gumtree.c...sbati/103923995

It can be found on Ebay for very little money and is at this point in time probably the best book available, though not totaly complete.

later

Larry

True, but you are a hard guy to get along with Larry. :lol:

Before the new members start to duck it should be noted that Larry and I get along quite well, the only irritating thing about him is that he almost always beats me to the really good groups. I do consider Ed a good friend, however, he has a very short fuse and I too have felt his wrath over the years. Still there is a lot to be learned over at Sagongs.

Good luck in your research Des.

Next time we are at Tim's I'll buy the coffee Larry. ;)

Regards

Brian

Thank you for the replies everyone. I have sent Ed a message and will let you know what he says. Out of curiosity, why would I be savaged on the Sagongs forum?

Brian, the following is impressed on the Pakistan Independence Medal: 3232882 NK. Sardar Ali CPMP

Regards,

Des

Edited by DJT

Small update for those of you interested. Ed liked the group but confirmed the possibility of researching this man as near impossible.

Brian, the recipient was a member of the Military Police.

Regards,

Des

Small update for those of you interested. Ed liked the group but confirmed the possibility of researching this man as near impossible.

Brian, the recipient was a member of the Military Police.

Regards,

Des

Military Police seemed logical but as soon as you try to apply logic to Pakistani medals all kinds of things can go wrong. I knew Ed would have the correct answer.

So, we know this fellow was in the Military Police in 1947 and I would bet he served with them throughout the war...oops, there I go applying logic.

Regards

Brian

• 5 months later...

Hello Graeme,

I've been in contact with a good friend in India just a few weeks ago and he mantioned that the site was a bit slow but gave no indication that it has been disbanded.

Since, as in the case of many forums, one person owns the site I suppose it could have been closed down.

Perhaps other members can shed some light on this?

Regards

Brian