News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish War Medal

Gordon Williamson

Guest Rick Research

You were probably blinded by my truly divine J.H. Werner. :love::cheeky:

I don't think those painted recycled tuna cans CAN age and stay "minty." That awful paint seems to flake away over time, no matter what. It is very similar to what was used by Red Chinese local awards during their Civil War and THOSE are almost always found scruffy and icky too. Typical Low Bidder items not meant to endure for the ages.

• Replies 138
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very fine example, douglas!

joe

Joe,

Thanks for your kind words! I didn?t have realized how impressive it is until I own one!

By the way, can anyone help me to leave the darkness of my ignorance and tell me what the hell all those symbols in the star?s center means? ;)

Douglas.

Guest Rick Research

Mostly the name and titles (?) of the Sultan. The lower bar is the Ottoman calendar year date "1333" which is when the decoration was founded-- our "1915."

Mostly the name and titles (?) of the Sultan. The lower bar is the Ottoman calendar year date "1333" which is when the decoration was founded-- our "1915."

Thanks for the explanation, Rick!

But still looks like a pidgeon?s nest to my blurred eyes. :cheeky::P Just kidding!

Douglas.

Hi,

Istanbul has a superb war museum, all the officer groups (bar one) on display there had enamle stars, not painted.

From all that I have read regarding the Ottoman officer class, it would not surprise me that they had special medals made up for themselves in Germany or Austria-Hungary. I suspect they had their shirts laundered and pressed there as well.

Guest Rick Research

Yet another "new" variant! :jumping: I've never seen a painted version with stippling under the red before. Has that got the usual cast in pin embedded in the back, or is it a bit better made?

Ther are actually "precise" German made copies of the tawdry painted version-- Steinhauer & L?ck was making them in the 1930s, though God knows what market BOUGHT them. But the German pins are... German pins.

And this is the fragile preliminary authorization certificate. It reads, "Dem Feldlazarett=Inspekor=Stellvertreter Fritz Lederer wurde am 24. Dezember 1916 im Namen S.M. des Sultans der Eisnere Halbmond verliehen. Bet Hanun, 4. Juli 1917 der Stabarzt, von Homeyer Stabsarzt.

The ink stamp reads, "Feldlazarett Nr.?" Unfortunately, it is too faint to read the field hospital number. If anyone can provide additional information on this Beamte or anything else related to this time or place, I would be very interested to know.

Chip

PS Sorry, no matter what I do I cannot get this picture to load without drawing it down to the size of a postage stamp! Bummer.

Chip - I have added the image for you.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Williamson

Guest Rick Research

I cannot understand your "sizing issues" since the SMALL bit above is just over 24 KB-- you should easily be able to post twice that. It is something in your settings--

are you using a scanner or a camera? The latter may be the problem, since theis should be easy as pie with any scanner.

Unfortunately the recipient was a Warrant Officer type invisible to Rank Lists and incredible as it seems there were TWO Stabsarzt Dr. von Homeyers-- so cannot tell which one signed this document! Dratted Prussians with no first names!

Rick,

Regarding the von Homeyers, is there any way of telling from their medals which one was in Palastine? Surely, he would have gotten an EH as well. Is there some way of finding out which field hospital was in Bet Hanun?

Chip

Edited by Chip

Guest Rick Research

Neither Nameless von Homeyer served in the Reichsheer, so the last time their awards (and lack thereof) was in print was in 1914.

I have the 1930 BDAK membership directory, but neither man belonged then.

There are many highly specialized "branch" articles in the Bund der Asienk?mpfer magazines-- flak, aviation, motor transport... but NOTHING for specific medical units. The memoirs are largely infantry units, and general campaign accounts.

Yet another "new" variant! :jumping: I've never seen a painted version with stippling under the red before. Has that got the usual cast in pin embedded in the back, or is it a bit better made?

Ther are actually "precise" German made copies of the tawdry painted version-- Steinhauer & L?ck was making them in the 1930s, though God knows what market BOUGHT them. But the German pins are... German pins.

Reverse? Your wish is my command, Rick (once I drag the goodie from the bank where it lives).

Guest Rick Research

:beer: I'd call that a German pin, rather than the usual icky Turkish semi-submerged wire, so perhaps this is a more precise German duplicate of the Ottoman originals in Genuine Icky "Quality" than a Turkish made piece?

BB&Co aside (I'm still holding out for a Constantinople jeweller, but that's still mere speculation), Turkish reverses are worse than the fronts, and this is quite a decent flip side.

TWMs are great fun, and the sort of thing that could make a lifetime specialized colection. It is truly astonishing how many varieties there are out there, given the relatively low numbers awarded, and how little we are ever likely to know about any specific maker, absent period catalogs with exact illustrations like Steinhauer & L?ck's January 1939. Even the BB&Co I've never found in period documentation earlier than a 1926 Bannermann surplus catalog.

Long years of hoping for really great close up focussed portrait photos of the things in wear durng the war have never turned up either: not enough to be sure of a specific type.

All part of the allure of TWM collecting!

Long years of hoping for really great close up focussed portrait photos of the things in wear durng the war have never turned up either: not enough to be sure of a specific type.

Absolutely! And it would also be good to get more images of them being worn by Turks, not only by allied foreigners (= Germans).

uman,

What is it that is being faked? Photos?

Chip

Yes.

Some are photoshop high quality rescans on older cardboard backings (notibly French ones)...others are multiple reprints of one photograph (Ba-re on ebay does this), but I have seen two that I would wager are "reenactor" shots. Military Image Magazine has had a series of articles about these faking techiques over the past decade. As prices soar, more seem to appear. :mad:

The E.H. is also faked/copied. Many are made in Turkey even today-even some blue ones.

Edited by Ulsterman