News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The French Collection

Hauptmann

Hi all,

I think it was a movie with Gene Hackman... no wait, :lol: it's just my small, humble collection of French medals. Got most of them in a group and already had a couple so in the riker they went. :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

If there's enough interest or any specific requests for other reverses here I'll be happy to take them as soon as I can.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• Replies 201
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oww .... French Medals .... now we're talking :jumping:

Hi Darrell,

You never fail to say just what I need to hear just when I need to hear it! :P:D Really made me laugh out loud... as does alot that I read on here. Always a good pick me up.

See, you just never know what I most post. Shoot... I never know what I might post... that's pretty bad isn't it? :lol:

Took French in HS so figured I had to have at least some representation of the Frogs in my collection. Used to have an Adrian shell but let it go back when I was still in HS. Kinda regret that I never got another one.

Glad you like. :cheers:

Thanks, :beer:

Dan

oww .... French Medals .... now we're talking :jumping:

I'll second that : always nice to see French ODMs. Three different sizes of Croix de Guerre in that picture - lovely !!!

Here's one with a cute ribbon ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=34745]

What is that bottom left ?

Hi Chris,

Ya'll just caught me getting ready to shut down for the night. But glad you did. And very glad ya'll like the presentation.

I'm not positive but seems to be a half size miniature... at least that's my guess. Just something I picked up somewhere along the way... can't remember where or when.

Dan

(...)

I'm not positive but seems to be a half size miniature... at least that's my guess. Just something I picked up somewhere along the way... can't remember where or when.

(...)

Dan

It is one, and of an unusual style. Nice :jumping::jumping: !

Would it be possible to see a close-up pic of it, including the back ?

Cheers.

Ch.

VERY NICE indeed!!!! :love::love::love::jumping::jumping: Have always loved that one and that's about the prettiest I've seen yet!

Hello Dan,

Just wished I had the old China one to show - alas, my medal collecting purse doesn't hold that much coinage :(

If anyone of the Forum's Gents could post a picture of that ... ?

In the meantime and just for the fun of it, a Legion d'Honneur breast star (cost me less than the aforementioned China medal !).

Have a great Easter ! Joyeux Paques !! Vrolijk Pasen !!! Frohes Ostern :beer:

Hendrik

[attachmentid=34836]

Hendrik,

That's a very nice breast star!!! :jumping::jumping: Do you know from which period precisely between 1870 and 1940 ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Alas no : no maker's marks etc. (at least none that I can see) or any other information available from the then seller ...

:beer:

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik & Christophe,

Many thanks for all your posts and comments. Looks like I got a ball rolling here. Love the pics... the breast star is great... although I think the French kinda skimped on the enamel on that one! :cheeky: And the China one is terrific! The ribbon just really sets it off.

Keep em comin'! I'd love :love::love: to see more. I'm not an expert in the area of French decorations... know enough to probably be dangerous but always happy to see and learn more.

Tr?s bon! Merci beaucoup! Vive la militaria! :D

Dan :cheers:

great... although I think the French kinda skimped on the enamel on that one!

Keep em comin'! I'd love :love::love: to see more.

More enamel ? Like on the one below ? :P

The subject of French ODM's is a large one : lots of nicely designed military and civilian ones, non-official or semi-official medals (e.g. the WWI commemorative medals such as the Verdun medals, Chateau-Thierry, Somme etc. etc. etc.) and, in a class of their own, French colonial awards ... I agree : "Keep 'em coming" :beer:

Happy Easter,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=34920] [attachmentid=34921]

Hi Hendrik,

Now that's the ticket! Beautiful!!!! I'm a sucker for enamel... and cases! My favorite is actually green enamel but that's another story... for which I'm hoping to take pics tomorrow. It'll likely be going over to the U.S. section... as it's around the time of the Spanish-American War. Oh, and gold... I'm like Goldfinger... I do love my gold! :lol: In the words of old Auric... "I'm in love with it's color... it's brilliance... it's devine heaviness." That and more.

And amen... keep em' coming!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing.

And definitely... to one and all in the membership... Happy Easter! :D

Dan :cheers:

I was lucky - when my great-uncle died I got his, and his gas mask, and his L?gion d'Honneur. :cheeky:

Hi Michael,

WOW! Now that's a great set with some very important history to it! :D How bout some pics... would love to see them.

Dan

Guest Darrell

Weeeeeeelll .... since the game is on .... here are a few of MY Frenchies:

My complete Croix de Guerre (1914-15, 16, 17 and 18):

Obv: