News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U.S. Army Decorations Awarded to Red Army Personnel in World War II

Sorry, though you were talking about one of the last cavaliers.

Well, the photo is way too blur.

The ribbons are identical when b-and-w.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-6141-0-76722700-1412279501.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-6141-0-55649900-1412279510.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-6141-0-31846200-1412279521.jpg

But lieutenant-colonel ...

Artilleryman...

What are the chances and (even more importantly!) for what? :whistle:

:beer:

4 HSU? Who is this man who has fought in Italy?

Edited by Marse

• 2 weeks later...

In Post >1 Slava made a comment to the effect that there was no record of DFC to Red Army troops.

Attached is a copy of the Award Certificate to a Sergeant who received the DFC.

Edited by GHB

Twenty Years ago I requested information under "Freedom of Information Act" from various agencies and sources of the USG regarding award of US decorations to Soviet Troops. Attached is a memorandum received from the Presidential Library regarding award to Soviet Troops as recommended by the Military Mission Moscow. These names are likely not on the list that Slava has from OMSA. Note this list includes an additional DFC to a Colonel.

In Post 1. Slava noted that there was (at that time) no documentation regarding award of the Chief Commander Legion of Merit to anyone by Zhukov. I cannot find my citations for the others but Novikov and Vasilevski can now be considered documented. See below (Note: The document was declassified in the 1950's but I like the fact that the USG considered it to be secret that they were awarding Novikov and Vasilevski):

I have somewhere the citations for the other Marshals and Generals who received the Chief Commander of LOM but as I stated I got them 20 years ago and have moved 1000 miles since that time and they are likely in my storage unit safely packed away for eternity.

But one more set that I really like then no more papers pictures.

Major General of the Air Force Alexander Ivanovich Belyaev was apparently chief of the Government Purchasing Commission of the USSR. They were responsible for obtaining and shipping all of the war goods furnished by the US to the USSR. (They were alleged to be a front for the GRU as well.) General Belyaev was awarded the Commander rank of the LOM for his work in coordinating such mutual assistance. His is the (excuse me but I am going to capitalize this because it is that rare) ONLY "Thank you letter" received by Franklin Roosevelt for award of an LOM from a Soviet officer. (I checked with the Roosevelt Museum.) See below: