News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I know these are very underappreciated... most folks just compare them unfavorably to the Iron Cross series and walk away. But I've always liked them.

I got hooked on them when I received the following document from my father's collection.

[attachmentid=39871]

It measures 11 1/2" by 8 1/4". It has a big impressive seal and of course the signatures. It's all dressed up with no place to go... as it was never issued.

[attachmentid=39872]

[attachmentid=39873]

He got this way before my reference book days when I was definitely a newbie to the hobby as far as knowledge goes... still am in many ways. We never stop learning. But in those days it just seemed like such an impressive document and so it just "had" to be for an equally impressive looking award.

Nope... just the fairly lowly KVK 2nd class!

Needless to say once I found out what went with the document... I simply had to have one... and then the entire series. And so... :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=39874]

Now please... you'll have to forgive the two copy Knight's Crosses at the top. In those days I could have afforded the originals but chose not to have that kind of money sitting around collecting dust in a riker mount. Silly me! ;):speechless: But honestly, as supportive as my lovely wife Kim :love::love::love::love: has been of all my hobbies and interests... I think she would have shot me :violent: had I spent that kind of money for two little medals.

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here they are one at a time in more detail. First off, the War Merit Medal with packet:

[attachmentid=39876]

[attachmentid=39877]

[attachmentid=39878]

It's marked 3 on the ring.

Edited by Hauptman

Next the War Merit Cross 2nd Class without swords:

[attachmentid=39879]

[attachmentid=39880]

And with packet:

[attachmentid=39881]

[attachmentid=39882]

[attachmentid=39883]

And the field issue packet:

[attachmentid=39885]

Next the War Merit Cross 1st class without swords:

[attachmentid=39886]

[attachmentid=39887]

It's marked L/18 under the pin.

Next the War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords:

[attachmentid=39888]

[attachmentid=39889]

And field issue packet:

[attachmentid=39890]

And the War Merit Cross 1st Class with Swords:

[attachmentid=39891]

[attachmentid=39892]

It's marked 14 on the outside of the pin.

Thanks for looking, :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Hi Dan,

A nice lot you have there !!!

All packets look genuine, no problem there. However though the 'Field Issue' packets ? I'd like to see the reverse of these if possible please.

My interest lays within packets and cases of medals really if it seems an odd request ;)

I'm always dubious and interested in so called field issue packets, I'm sure such paper wares existed in a non conventional sense via all matter of means, tissue paper to a field postage package for arguments sake.

Even with the type face on the packets, sure it's possible that a clerk in the field typed these up.

It's also possible on the home front that some Ldo outlet/retail supplier had some oblivious packets in his shop and had a few packets typed up as there was a shortage in his retail packets or other forms for some unknown reason. This I have encountered when the odd cellar has been opened up in Berlin (due to floods most of the time actually) and I've been able to see first hand what came out.

A multitude of thought and reasoning.

It's also possible they were typed up in Germany post war for sale to collectors or just after the war for Allied troops stationed over there or even in the UK or America. Perhaps even they were typed for the inventory of a former collector ? Whats the history behind them ?

I don't know, but would be interested in seeing more of them. Odd how both of different classes are in the same packet and have the same type set on the packets perhaps ?

Kr

Marcus

Hi Dan,

A nice lot you have there !!!

All packets look genuine, no problem there. However though the 'Field Issue' packets ? I'd like to see the reverse of these if possible please.

My interest lays within packets and cases of medals really if it seems an odd request ;)Marcus

Hi Marcus.

Not an odd request at all. Funny thing is as I took the pics the fleeting thought went through my head that I should take the reverses as well as "someone" would surely want them "if" I didn't. :speechless:;) And sure enough... :rolleyes:

As far as me calling them field issue packets it's just what I was told they were. They were a gift from a dealer many, many moons ago if I remember correctly, back when no one was really intro'd in such things as packets and ribbons and the like. Sigh. The good old days when stuff was cheap and buffalo ran free in herds and... erk... end tangent, Norman coordinate! :rolleyes::lol:

Not a whole lot to see I'm afraid but for what it's worth... (drumroll please!).

First the no swords:

[attachmentid=39957]

And now the swords:

[attachmentid=39958]

Hope it helps. :D

Dan

Hi Dan.

Whats the story with the RK's?

Hi Laurence,

Not really any story other than what was in my first post... could have afforded originals in those days but just didn't buy them. Didn't want that kind of money in one or two items collecting dust on a shelf. :speechless: So I was insane... I admit it! :speechless::speechless:

Just nice copies. Be happy to do pics of them if you or anyone else are intro'd... just figured since they're copies no one would be. Nothing special other than they've had alot of compliments from other collectors over the years. One is even marked which seemed to impress a few of them. They just have a decent look to them. And since I wanted a full set... there they are in the case.

I actually contemplated not showing them. I do have a few nice copies in my collection as fillers for more expensive pieces but figured again, as they are copies no one would be intro'd in seeing them here. So I just don't bother.

But let me know as again I'm happy to do pics and post them. Only thing is it may not be till Sunday as Kim and Nick are going to the badlands to meet some friends and they're taking the camera. :( I'd do it now but I get my best results in sunlight and it's dusk here now. :P

Anyhow just let me know... happy to oblige. :D

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan

I would be interested in seeing a close up of the crosses.

Hi Laurence,

Your wish is my command! :cheeky:

You're lucky you caught me as I'd actually just signed off and was making a quick check of email. Been sick the last couple of days and although I'm feeling better today I got kind of wiped out with some errands and such I had to run earlier as well as entertaining a guest this afternoon. Was heading off to rustle up some grub and perhaps either take a nap or just hit the sack a bit early.

I took a chance and took photos with the flash and several lights on and it seems to have done okay. Sadly, even in optimum conditions I can't get any closer than this. Yes... I hear you oh spirit of Rick R... must... get... scanner... EPSON Scanner! :cheeky:

[attachmentid=39986]

[attachmentid=39987]

Anyhow I hope this does well enough that you can see what you need/want to see. The without swords is 800 "silver" marked although I sincerely doubt it's silver... but then again I really don't know what either of them are made of. Got it from a company in Flushing NY that did rather nice quality pieces back twenty some odd years ago. Actually they'd written me a "rain check" note on my order as they were out of the swords. Then somehow the note disappeared and they of course had no records of it so I never did get the swords from them. But I didn't get charged for it either so no biggie on that one. The swords was from someone else later that year if I remember correctly. And I've never noticed before but it is also marked but looks like L/56... not sure as my poor old eyes are not what they used to be... and they never really were. Even with a loupe it's just not clear to me. Could be 800 and just worn in all the right places.

I've always hoped to pick up a pair of these in gold someday to really "finish" the set for once and for all. Again originals would be nice and would definitely be better... but I know many times over the years I would likely have had to sell one or both off had they been original, so guess it worked out well in the long run. They look good in the display and for what I paid back then it was a steal. :D

[attachmentid=39990]

[attachmentid=39991]

[attachmentid=39992]

Well, there you have them. Hope you like them. I do... for what they are they serve the purpose well. :love::love:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Nice KVK collection Dan:beer:

I have my modest collection posted as well and I love these simple awards, a good blue collar award if you will. I especially am fond of the early KVK2 with and without swords, just because I think it looks sharper with the ribbon. I hope to see some more KVKs up in the forum, perhaps some late-war examples? Any out there to show? I tend to stay away from the RK's with my novice eyes (and pocketbook!), but they are nice as replacements for display.

Later,

Pat

Dan,

I love your collection of KVKs! They are actually one of my favorite awards! The replica KVKs seem to be very accurate!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your kind words! My "purties" all thank you too! :P:beer:

And I honestly never thought anyone would be intro'd in or like the Knight's... almost expected to get some "shame on me's" :shame: for having them... or at least putting them with real ones on display. But I do agree, I think they look very nice, very accurate and they sure cost me one heck of a lot less than real ones, even in "good old days" prices. "If" I remember correctly... I think I probably got the swords one for $10 if that, and the other was $16????. Pretty close I think. So for under $30 have both of them... don't think I could find that deal for even one real one. Of course if I do... :rolleyes: it sure won't take me long to pull out the wallet on that one. Shoot, gold fillings if I have to! :cheeky:

But needless to say I'm very happy that I didn't put anyone out by showing those... as I really do love the overall effect they give to the display. Now all I have to do is dig up one of each in gold and that'll close that book. :D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Nice KVK collection Dan:beer:

I have my modest collection posted as well and I love these simple awards, a good blue collar award if you will. I especially am fond of the early KVK2 with and without swords, just because I think it looks sharper with the ribbon. I hope to see some more KVKs up in the forum, perhaps some late-war examples? Any out there to show? I tend to stay away from the RK's with my novice eyes (and pocketbook!), but they are nice as replacements for display.

Later,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Hey, from tiny acorns mighty oaks do grow. I started out with one or two pieces myself once upon a time... now I don't even have a count on how many I've got. Drives me nuts sometimes... especially getting ready to move last year! I envy a guy who can toss all his worldly goods into a neckerchief, tie it in a bundle on the end of a walking stick off take off for the next locale. Too much stuff can be nice but it can be a real curse too.

Many thanks for looking and hopefully you'll have more in your set before too long. :rolleyes::lol::beer:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

The packets, well in honesty I couldn't say, it looks similar to a much smaller version I'm aware of for minature medals (factory small packet with no designation on it and made of VERY think paper) but don't pay any heed to that.

In my mind only, I'd be sceptical of them to being of the period.........but they could well be perhaps, this is one for the collector alone to be happy with them or not (unless theres some envelope/paper items collectors society in the USA where guys could express more on these or you actually had them date and ink tested which would be more than they are worth.........lets say, fold !!!), be they factory sorts or retail of some kind ???

Given the facts above, I'd contemplate perhaps they could well be packets used by the dealer........just my hunch.

Kr

Marcus

Some of the kids

• 2 months later...

Hauptman,

I like the KvKs' also, I only have two and just got both of them within the past year from a long time collector friend of mine, both are marked 900 and 1 on the lower cross. Not sure if the one is gold or not I've shown it to several people and it's a toss up, both are 100% original( my friend bought these from the vets family about 25 years ago).

Hauptman,

I like the KvKs' also, I only have two and just got both of them within the past year from a long time collector friend of mine, both are marked 900 and 1 on the lower cross. Not sure if the one is gold or not I've shown it to several people and it's a toss up, both are 100% original( my friend bought these from the vets family about 25 years ago).

Hi Fritz,

In a word WOW! I'm glad I wasn't holding my bowl of popcorn (was watching DVD's a few minutes ago.) as it would have been all over the floor! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Number one love them. Number two, love neck orders. Number three, love cased anything! Number four love cased neck orders (and breast stars, etc!).

Only thing it needs is some enamel and I'd be gasping for breath! :P

To me, the ultimate in Orders and Decorations are when they are cased and complete. These are beautiful!

Many thanks for sharing! :beer: I'm sure everyone else will love them as well.

Dan :cheers: