News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-505

My son and I viewed the display last week and MSI has done a magnificent job especially with the peripheral displays leading to and away from the boat itself.

I didn't notice the SA Sports Badge but I was surprised that no U-Boat badges were recovered from the boat. The three on display are on loan from other collections. However a bronze U-Boat Frontspange belonging to Captain Lange was recovered by a member of the boarding party and is on display.

Edited by Bob Hunter

Bob,

What did you think of the restored battle damage to the conning tower? I personally liked the job they did there too. Too bad I did not know you where coming to Chicago, It would have been nice to meet up for a Hot dog and a beer!

Bill

Looking carefully there is a lot of .50cal, 20mm and 40mm damage that was never really visable when the boat was outside. We were in town four days to visit UC, DePaul and Northwestern. Went to MSI twice, once on the Sunday when it hit 104 and the following day since all the internal boat tours had been sold for Sunday.

The line looked like a rock concert or a free beer giveaway! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

possibly a silly question Luftguy but why did they remove the conning tower and place it on the lower level instead of reapplying the unit on deck ? the ship looks decapitated without it from your excellent scan

thank you gents. It appeared to me the tower on the deck was part of the background, aka wall due to the lighting.

cheers

E ~

The picture is from the visitor's perspective. This is what is seen upon entering the boat's display area.

Here is a different perspective showing both conning towers.

Visit the museum's website and take the virtual tour. They have done an excellent job.

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html

Edited by Bob Hunter

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

The MSI has now moved the U-505 into a new inside display area to better show her off and to help in her preservation. I have not seen it yet in person, but it looks liek they did a great job.

Don