News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Croix de Guerre WWI

Guest Darrell

• Replies 230
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting and informative thread. I never cease to be amazed at the unique items that fall into PK's net!

Ralph & Darrell--a very impressive display.

Chris has already posed my question, why is 1916 so rare?

Edited by Bob Hunter

Guest Darrell

You guys are asses....

Since reading this thread I have been bitten by the bug and have 3 crosses in the mail on the way to me... thats all I need... another collecting side line  :-(

All WW1? Which one you missing wink.gif

Although I never set out to "get the set", I'm missing the 1914-15 and 1914-1917 crosses. Collecting side lines can become annoying, but I guess that's just one of the things collectors just have to learn to accept.

Can anyone show any more award documents, preferably groups?

• 3 months later...

Good background. On another thread one person asked if the GdG was ever awarded WITHOUT a Star Device? Or is that the minimum they had when awarded. I have yet to see one with just a plain ribbon.

Browsing through some of the older threads here I came across this excellent question which appears to still remain unanswered ...

In my opinion there's at least one instance in which a CdG without palm or star could be awarded : the Legion of Honour and the Military Medal were sometimes awarded with an accompanying CdG. As the the award of the higher decoration would already constitute the proper citation requirement, the CdG would in those cases be on a plain ribbon.

There's also the point of collective awards to be considered : lots of CdG's were 'exchanged' between France and Belgium (and quite possibly with other allied countries) at the time. France would send a number of CdG's to Belgium and merely request a list of names from the Belgium government as to who received them in the end ... I can well imagine there being no ribbon devices on those. Belgium would, courteously :rolleyes: reply in kind, so one could expect a fair number of Belgian WWI CdG's to turn up without those lovely devices as well.

I, for one, would love to hear more on this ...

Browsing through some of the older threads here I came across this excellent question which appears to still remain unanswered ...

In my opinion there's at least one instance in which a CdG without palm or star could be awarded : the Legion of Honour and the Military Medal were sometimes awarded with an accompanying CdG. As the the award of the higher decoration would already constitute the proper citation requirement, the CdG would in those cases be on a plain ribbon.

There's also the point of collective awards to be considered : lots of CdG's were 'exchanged' between France and Belgium (and quite possibly with other allied countries) at the time. France would send a number of CdG's to Belgium and merely request a list of names from the Belgium government as to who received them in the end ... I can well imagine there being no ribbon devices on those. Belgium would, courteously :rolleyes: reply in kind, so one could expect a fair number of Belgian WWI CdG's to turn up without those lovely devices as well.

about half the TOEs I bought in Morocco haveno sign at all of ever having had a star on the ribbon, the other half are almost all missing the stars, but have signs of having had them

(...)

Hendrik,

I globally have the same information.

The Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 has been awarded to military and civil persons, who each time have got a "citation", that means with minimum a bronze star.

The only case, as far as I know, when there is no citation (and consequently no star...) is when the ross has been awarded with the L?gion d?honneur or M?daille Militaire, as said by Hendrik. Same situation, for crosses collectively awarded to units, ships or flights of aircraft.

Hope this helps.

Ch.

Same situation, for crosses collectively awarded to units, ships or flights of aircraft.

Christophe,

Now you are confusing me : a CdG award to an army unit would that consist of every unit member receiving a cross ? I thought that's what fourrag?res are for ?

Christophe,

Now you are confusing me : a CdG award to an army unit would that consist of every unit member receiving a cross ? I thought that's what fourrag?res are for ?

No, no, that's not what I mean :P .

The unit receives the Croix de Guerre (the medal itself) and each of the unit members can wear the fourrag?re.

Cheers.

Ch.

Nice Croix de Guerres! Can someone shortly explain which type of ribbon devices they had and which level of commendation they denote?

Hallo Jens,

Wie geht's ? :P

Official ribbon devices :

gilt palm : only on the 1939 cross !!! For a citation on the order of the day of the Free French Forces or on the order of the day of the nation.

silver palm : replacing 5 bronze palms

bronze palm : for a citation on the order of the day on army level

gold star : same but on army corps level

silver star : same but on division level

bronze star : same but on regimental or battalion level.

Edited by Hendrik

• 3 years later...

Another old thread I thought I would bring back as there are some really beautiful items here from some nice collections. Also gives the opportunity for new items to be added. :beer:

Tim

1914-1915 - #1