News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honored Railwayworker Badge

Guest Rick Research

I'm a big dummy... I was posting some photos for on the thread about wound stripes and had totally forgotten that my wound-in-the-mouth fellow had also gotten one of these badges! This is a real beaut... take a look!

• Replies 156
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhhhhh! Welcome! :beer:

What's the number and date on that Red Banner of Labor? That would seem to fall under the regulations of 28 July 1949 for decorations to railways workers for long service--

making the Red Banner of Labor for 20 years. So that gives you an approximate working life/age for the recipient, there.

I love those silver badges!!!! :love:

Who is stating that the Udarnik badges were NOT exclusibvely railways? they were issued by the Peoples' Commissariat/Ministry of Railways and I've never seen one that wasn't and was not to a railways employee.

If I am reading those right, your first one, awarded 10 June 1941, is number 55,089 but the later one (thrifty fellow used same photo 1943 and 1946) #45,886 was bestowed on 15 September 1943! THAT throws trying to date undocumented badges out the window!

<quote>Ahhhhhhh! Welcome!

What's the number and date on that Red Banner of Labor? That would seem to fall under the regulations of 28 July 1949 for decorations to railways workers for long service--making the Red Banner of Labor for 20 years. So that gives you an approximate working life/age for the recipient, there.

I love those silver badges!!!!

Who is stating that the Udarnik badges were NOT exclusibvely railways? they were issued by the Peoples' Commissariat/Ministry of Railways and I've never seen one that wasn't and was not to a railways employee.

If I am reading those right, your first one, awarded 10 June 1941, is number 55,089 but the later one (thrifty fellow used same photo 1943 and 1946) #45,886 was bestowed on 15 September 1943! THAT throws trying to date undocumented badges out the window!

Guest Rick Research

The 1953 award date coincides nicely with the previous 20 January 1947 regulations, which would have bestowed a Valiant Labor Medal (in its own Medals Book) circa 1948 for 15 years railways service.

If there are Udarnik documents to non-Railways personnel it would be great to see who (State Security aside) might have gotten them. We learn, in the void of reliable secondary references, by showing each other our primary materials! The Honored Railway Employee, for instance, seems from photographic evidence to have been given as an "honorary" badge to military railways personnel who were not career civilian railwaymen. I can recall a documented one of those sold some years back to a State Security officer-- and we don't want to think what THEY were doing along the tracks!

The 1953 award date coincides nicely with the previous 20 January 1947 regulations, which would have bestowed a Valiant Labor Medal (in its own Medals Book) circa 1948 for 15 years railways service.

If there are documents to non-Railways personnl it would be great to see who (State Security aside) might have gotten them. We learn, in the void of reliable secondary references, by showing each other our primary materials! :beer:

Regarding the medal box, this group did come with a red medal box, too. I just didn't mention it. The three badges are mounted to the inside of the box and the RBL and ID book were inside. No Valiant Labor, though.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

And, of course, another late-era version. This one is an orphan, no document.

Chuck

Chuck,

what is the serial number on the railroad badge with the suspension. Till today, I only saw screwback versions, no

pinback versions.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Thanks Chuck,

168.444 it?s the highest number I have observed and it?s the first pinback type I see.

Somewhere between 135.164 and 168.444 they must have changed from screwback to pinback

suspension.

best regards

Andreas

Gentlemen,

Following is the Excellent Railway Worker badge, #28228 awarded to Engineer Col. Ivan Sergeevic Osetsky along with it?s award book.

Among other positions, Engineer Col. Osetsky served as commander 1st Railroad Maintenance Unit of the Front, Stalingrad Front, Asst. HQ commander in charge of railroad troops combat readiness, 1st Ukrainian Front and finished the war as HQ commander , 45th Railroad Bde.

Best wishes,

Wild Card