News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The J.D.M Southern Africa collection

James D.N.MacKenzie

Hi Matt

These are my Uncle's medals, nice balanced group, four WWII and four post war. He was taken prisoner at Tobruk so only got the four WWII medals. He then served the rest of his career in the Medical Corps, full time, but never signed on with the Permanent Force, so received the John Chard Medal and Decoration as long service medals, and the first pattern Pro Merito Medal.

Cheers

James D.N.MacKenzie

SAM - Southern Africa Militaria

http://southernafricamilitaria.com

01223395E/P4378 Commander J.M.M.Imrie: Southern Cross Medal, Union Medal with clasp for extra 18 years service, 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal, British War Medal and Africa Service Medal. After matriculating at the age of 15 and joining the 1st Orange Free State Field Artillery Band in 1928 John Murdoch McGregor Imrie joined the S.A. Permanent Force Band in September 1934, later transferring to the Cape Corps Band on 23 May 1945, with the rank of W.O.I, and then to the S.A. Air Force Band on 25 June 1946. In 1956 he was appointed as the first Director of Music for the S.A. Navy. He received his Licentiate from the Trinity College of Music in London and wrote a book ?The Military Band in South Africa?. (Father of Captain Imrie)

66000597PE Captain J.B.M.Imrie: Southern Cross Medal, S.A.General Service Medal, 20 Year Long Service and Good conduct Medal, 10 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and Chief of Defence Force Commendation Medal. John Benjamin McGregor Imrie served with the S.A. Air Force as a mechanic from 27 January to 19 December 1958. For the next eight months he worked for S.A. Mutual Life Assurance as a Clerk, before joining the Northern Rhodesia Police on 15 September 1959 and serving with them until 4 January 1962, attaining the rank of Assistant Inspector of Police Grade I in their Special Branch. He then joined the Royal Air Force Police on 14 May 1962 and served with them until 29 November 1965. On 10 January 1966 he joined the S.A. Navy as a Sub Lieutenant and served with the Naval Intelligence before being attached to the Director of Counter Intelligence in March 1969. In 1975, with the rank of Lt.Cmdr., the highest rank he could hold an Intelligence post in the Navy, he transferred to Chief of Staff Intelligence, and was promoted to Commander on 1 January 1977, and to Captain on 1 January 1981. He was posted to ARMSCOR on 1 January 1989. He was involved in the Dieter Gerhardt espionage investigation. He retired on 31 December 1992, but was recalled to service to serve at Defence Headquarters as the interface between the Truth and Reconciliation Committee and the S.A. National Defence Force. John passed away on 10 February 2002 after a brief battle with cancer. (Also have his wife?s British General Service Medal with Cyprus clasp (W/386031 Pte.Majorie Irene Herbert W.R.A.C. & Northern Rhodesia Police), her brother?s Campaign Service Medal with clasp South Arabia (23694837 Spr.R.J.Herbert R.E.) (Son of Lt.Cmdr.J.M.M.Imrie)

This is a nice group. Percy Hodgson served with 3 Commando of Rhodesian Light Infantry and is mentioned throughout the book Fireforce, by Chris Cocks, as he served as Chris' Corporal and later Sergeant. He won the Military Forces Commendation, the little silver pick on the ribbon of his Rhodesia General Service Medal, with 3 Commando. When Rhodesia changed hands he moved to South Africa and joined 5 Recce.

05557822PE/P55782 Chief Petty Officer F.C.Jansen: Pro Patria Medal, 20 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and 10 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Ferdinand Charles Janson joined the S.A. Navy on 28 December 1964 and served on board S.A.S. President Steyn, S.A.S. President Pretorius, S.A.S. Johannesburg and S.A.S. Fleur before volunteering for the new Submarine Flotilla and going to France for submariner training on 14 June 1970. He qualified as a submariner, number 117, and was on the crew of our second submarine, S.A.S. Emily Hobhouse, when she was brought out from France. After over a years service on submarines he was found to be colour blind and was transferred from submarine service to Mine Counter Measures Flotilla. Died from a heart attack on 24 January 1987.

05213897PE Chief Petty Officer S.P.Vrey: Southern Cross Medal, General Service Medal, 20 Years Good Service Medal and 10 Years Good Service Medal. Steven Vrey did his National Service with the Infantry in 1958. After completion of service he joined the Navy Permanent Force on 27 January 1958 for training as a diver. He completed the P.T. Instructors course and all the diving courses available in the S.A. Navy. He also did the Underwater Demolitions course and a survival course with the Special Boat Squadron in England. He completed the S.A. Basic Parachute Course in April 1972 and resigned from the Navy in December of that year. He transferred to the Navy Reserve and was promoted to Warrant Officer II on 26 April 1976, and commissioned to Sub Lieutenant on 2 July 1981. He was awarded the Southern Cross Medal on 10 August 1979 for outstanding service in the Diving field. He decided to join the Navy Permanent Force again and was transferred to 4 Reconnaissance Regiment where he served as a Combat Diving Instructor, with the rank of Chief Petty Officer, having to take a demotion from his Navy Reserve rank of Sub Lieutenant. This most probably made him the only N.C.O. to wear the Southern Cross medal. Whilst serving with 4 Recce he did refresher courses in Parachuting and Demolitions and also completed the Special Forces Coxswains course. He resigned once more and studied to become a Minister.

I Also collect medals to Paratroopers, Special Air Service, Commandos, Special Forces, South African Navy, and groups with decorations in them, normally double awards or decorations.

This is one of my Special Air Service groups.

300501 Cpl.K.Thompson ? N.Z.S.A.S.: C.S.M. with bar Borneo, Vietnam Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal. Sergeant Karena Thompson enlisted in the New Zealand Army on 5/4/54, as a Driver with N.Z.Army Service Corps. Promoted Lance Corporal 18/6/55 and Corporal on 18/2/57. Transferred to 1 Ranger Squadron, New Zealand Special Air Service and posted to Active Service on 20/8/65. Left for Borneo on 26/8/65 for service with 2 Detachment, 1 N.Z. Ranger Squadron N.Z.S.A.S.(Far East). Returned to New Zealand 22/2/66. Posted for Active Service in South Vietnam and taken on strength of 4 Troop N.Z.S.A.S. 10/11/69. Arrived in Vietnam on 12/12/69 and returned on 13/12/70. Posted to 1 Ranger Squadron N.Z.S.A.S. on 14/7/71. Posted to 6 Bn. R.N.Z. Infantry Regiment on 14/7/71 and assumed appointment of Regimental Duties Sergeant. Appointed Sergeant on 6/7/72 and became Range Warden for 1st Bn. R.N.Z.I.R. Resigned from Army on 11/1/78 after 23 years service.

P5814 Major W.M.J.Swart: 30 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal with clasp for 40 Years Service, 20 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, Union Medal, Chief of Defence Force Commendation Medal, 1939-45 Star, Africa Star with 8th Army clasp, Defence Medal, British War Medal and Africa Service Medal.

This is also a nice group to a South African Paratrooper, still need to do his write up. Have most of his certificates, even one for Parachute Maintenance and Packing, very unusual for a National Serviceman to do that course.

James D.N.MacKenzie

This one is one of the more famous Selous Scouts.

Captain David Scott-Donelan: Rhodesian GSM, Zimbabwe Independence Medal and South African Pro Patria Medal: S.A.S., Rhodesian Light Infantry, Selous Scouts ? wing 0398, and 5 Recce Regt. David Scott-Donelan enlisted in the Rhodesian Army in London in 1961 and arrived in Rhodesia on 1st April 1961. He initially did training with and served in the RLI, spent time on the Gwanda Foot and Mouth cattle cordon and the Congo border at Bancroft. He volunteered for the SAS selection course and was sent to Bulawayo in September 1961 to attend the third SAS selection conducted by Captain Hugh Donaldson-Selby and Sergeant Major Bob Bouch. Of the 175 men who started 12 passed. After finishing his parachute course at New Sarum in December 1961 to January 1962 he was posted to Ndola Barracks, Northern Rhodesia. He was later commissioned and served with the Rhodesian Light Infantry until transferring to the Selous Scouts. He later moved to South Africa and served with 5 Recce as their Training Officer and was later charged with training RENAMO which included building a parachute training school at the Letaba Ranch, Gazankulu, close to the Kruger National Park in the Phalaborwa district. When the first batch of MNR guerrillas finished the training he presented them with their Renamo para wings.

This is the father of S.P.Vrey.

89805 Warrant Officer Class 1 W.M.J.Vrey: Pro Merito Medal, 30 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal with clasp for 40 Years Service, 20 Year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, Permanent Force Long Service Medal for 18 Years and Africa Service Medal (ACF).

James D.N.MacKenzie

3976 L/Cpl.A.L.Johnston: Rhodesian GSM with Military Forces Commendation (Operational), Zimbabwe Independence Medal, South African Honoris Crux Decoration, Pro Patria Medal and Southern Africa Medal for Cross Border Operations: Rhodesian Light Infantry, Rhodesian Army Medical Corps, SAS and later as a Warrant Officer with the South African 6 Recce Regt. He was also awarded the Rhodesian SAS Wing?s on Chest Award, one of only 72 men to receive that award in the twenty years of their existance. Andrew Johnston joined the Rhodesian Army on 1 August 1966, for training with Rhodesian Light Infantry. A great sportsman he represented the R.L.I. in Soccer, Boxing, Basketball, Rugby and was a member of their Assault Course Team in 1968. He served with R.L.I. for five years before transferring to the Rhodesian Army Medical Corps. He completed the following courses with the Medics: Medical Assistant Class III, Medical Assistant Class II, Medical Assistant Group A Class I, and Advanced Traumatology, a year long course held at Mpilo Central Hospital in Rhodesia. He did SAS selection in 1972 and, after passing, became their Combat Medic. He is mentioned in ?The Elite Pictorial? in which there are also some photos of him, including one with his canoe that had been bitten by a hippo whilst on operations; in "Cross of Honour" by Ian Uys; and in ?No Mean Soldier? by Peter McAleese, on page 107, "The following morning we went back to the farm building which had been attacked by the Vampire as we parachuted in and found four prisoners who had been murdered by ZANLA just as our para drop started. Their hands were tied behind their backs and they had been shot in the head. An odd thing happened near here, where we found a store of rations with Portuguese markings. One of our guys called Andy Johnston found a can of milk, drank it and immediately went into shock. He collapsed on the ground kicking and spluttering and shouting in panic. He was casevaced at once in an Alouette and recovered, and I later discovered that our own very dear and lovely Special Branch had somehow got access to these rations during Portugal's withdrawal from Africa and poisoned them."

His citation for the Military Forces Commendation reads: ?Staff Sergeant Johnston has been deployed on operations on numerous occasions and has been invaluable in the treatment of casualties sustained on the battlefield. Through his expertise, patience and calmness under pressure he has undoubtedly saved lives and reduced the severity of the injuries sustained. He places medical assistance to wounded members before his personal safety and has on many occasions placed his own life at risk to render first aid to the injured when under fire. His insistence on high standards and his own personal expertise are a major contributing factor to the excellent medical coverage which contributes greatly towards the high moral of the Regiment.?

His citation for the Honoris Crux, which he won on Operation Bean Bag in Mozambique, reads: ?Warrant Officer Johnston was involved in an external raid against enemy targets in a suburban area which took place during the night of 28/29 January 1981. During the initial engagement of the target, a grenade exploded amongst a four-man team, seriously wounding all four.

Warrant Officer Johnston, a member of another team, unhesitatingly and without any regard for his own safety rushed to the aid of his wounded comrades. Whilst rendering assistance a fire started causing more grenades to explode in the webbing or the wounded. Warrant Officer Johnston was himself wounded and burnt but despite his wounds and the extreme danger of more exploding grenades and possible enemy reaction, continued giving assistance.

Warrant Officer Johnston?s unflinching courage, devotion to duty and unselfish sacrifice for his comrades in the face of extreme danger not only saved the life of one of his wounded comrades but also contributed towards the success of the operation at a critical stage, and thus qualified himself beyond any doubt as a worthy recipient of the Honoris Crux.?

James D.N.MacKenzie

• 8 years later...

James, being close to Anzac Day, I'm in tears to have come across this post. My name is tara-lee Thompson, granddaughter of karena Thompson 

I Also collect medals to Paratroopers, Special Air Service, Commandos, Special Forces, South African Navy, and groups with decorations in them, normally double awards or decorations.

This is one of my Special Air Service groups.

300501 Cpl.K.Thompson ? N.Z.S.A.S.: C.S.M. with bar Borneo, Vietnam Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal. Sergeant Karena Thompson enlisted in the New Zealand Army on 5/4/54, as a Driver with N.Z.Army Service Corps. Promoted Lance Corporal 18/6/55 and Corporal on 18/2/57. Transferred to 1 Ranger Squadron, New Zealand Special Air Service and posted to Active Service on 20/8/65. Left for Borneo on 26/8/65 for service with 2 Detachment, 1 N.Z. Ranger Squadron N.Z.S.A.S.(Far East). Returned to New Zealand 22/2/66. Posted for Active Service in South Vietnam and taken on strength of 4 Troop N.Z.S.A.S. 10/11/69. Arrived in Vietnam on 12/12/69 and returned on 13/12/70. Posted to 1 Ranger Squadron N.Z.S.A.S. on 14/7/71. Posted to 6 Bn. R.N.Z. Infantry Regiment on 14/7/71 and assumed appointment of Regimental Duties Sergeant. Appointed Sergeant on 6/7/72 and became Range Warden for 1st Bn. R.N.Z.I.R. Resigned from Army on 11/1/78 after 23 years service.

Hi James, I am tara-lee Thompson, karena Thompson's granddaughter to his eldest daughter.unfortunately I never met my Koro (maori for granddad) as he passed away Jan 1983, I was born December 1983. can you please make contact with me in to regards of his medals. I'm in tears to have come across this being so close to Anzac Day. Thank you in advance.  tara-lee_t@hotmail.com thanks again and I hope this reaches you 

The JDM Southern Africa Collection.   Put together back in 2006 it remains an example of how to mount, preserve and record an important collection.

Their are some rare medals and awards in the collection and it will act as valuable reference for many years to come.

Tara-Lee Thompson  -  a major surprise for you to find reference to your Grandfather  -  although it is surprising how often this has happened over the years.     Welcome to GMIC and I hope JDM sees your post.   I am not sure if he is still a member  -  however, if you have any problems please get in touch with me.     Mervyn