News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leigh Kitchens Odds & Ends of 3R miltaria

• Replies 141
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta, there's more, a few helmets, vsors & a couple of sidecaps plus some cloth & metal insignia, I just heve'nt got photos of them yet, I'll post when I get some done.

Luftschutze door plaque, about 72 mm in diameter:

Edited by leigh kitchen

A Commemorative medal of Luftwaffe Reserve Flak Searchlight Battalion 269.

Commissioned by the unit's commander,Major Holtfort, produced in aluminum in Bremen, presented to personnel as a christmas commemorative, 1943, financed by the profits of the staff canteen at the end of 1943. The cost of producing the medals was met from the profits of the unit's canteen.

The unit was based on the North German fortress island of Sylt - Lager Sylt, the concentration camp at La Foulère in Alderney was named after this island.

I don't know if the cigarette box has any real value, I qute like it tho' it's hardly pretty.

My first thought was that the perspex (I assume it's perspex rather than plastic?) would be from an aircraft, but it has no "soft" layers sandwiched in it - maybe it should'nt have, probably getting my wires crossed there.

Bakelite was used for so much in the way of trinkets at the time, I think that I only have a little brown box for a single "Rolls" razor blade. The Britsh economy plastic cap badges of WWII are actually of plastic, although a lot of people assume that they're of bakelite, although many have warped & bent & peeled over the decades, some of them have a lot of detail for what were a make-do measure.

I have a nice little green plastic or bakelte Brtish helmet somewhere, about 4" diameter with a ribbon chinstrap held in place by a couple of brass paper clips, it's a razor blade container with a small compartment for the blades nside. As you say, novelty materials.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...