News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Case of issue was black. Not red.

Looks like the latest generation copy to me. Note the ridges that appear on the edges of the ?se. Note the lack of a clear cross at the top of the crown. In the absence of way better scans, I think you'd be nuts to pay 4K for this piece. In any event, the asking price is at least double the going rate in Germany.

Should match this exactly:

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello-

I purchased the orginal piece in question on this thread, as it was endorsed by Andreas S-I, and have come to the conclusion that it is a wartime award. I would be happy to hear debate regarding this issue, however, it appears to have all the small flaws seen on wartime pieces. Here are some of the dimensions

weight 16.85g

vertical length 37.75mm

horizontal length 37.75crowncomp.jpg

arm width 15.75mm

tips of the arms thickness 1.75mm

central arm thickness 2.45mm

central disc diamter 16.4 mm

This example shows all the identical die characteristics of other wartime gmvks. Any dissention/debate would be welcome, as I would contend it would be impossible to replicate the minor exact flaws.

another comparison of inscription. These comparisons are made with another piece endorsed by Andreas S-I as being a wartime original and have the identical die flaw characteristics. It is a far cry from the fakes seen today, which are very poor in comparison. To state that this is a fake would suggest that exact perfect copies can and are being made of any award, as the smallest details are identical.

real3copy5.jpg

The cross is indeed a very good reproduction. Certainly cast from an original. As mentioned before, the comparison has to be perfect, except that the tooling flaws will get worse and worse towards the end of the war as seen in the "T" in "Verdienst".

If you look especially at the crown it is evident that your cross is cast from an original. The pebbling on those crown brackets are smaller then on the original and are therefore a clear sign of the normal shrinkage occurring during the casting process. Other signs apply. One has to always make sure that the piece is coined and not cased. Please check my web page at www.medalnet.net and read up on those few signs that will make it easier to determine whether a piece is coined or cased.

As I had mentioned before, one has to have this kind of cross in hand to be 100% sure. It looked very good on those initial photos and convinced even me enough to possibly order it with the right to return the piece.

You may download pictures of an early MVK in high resolution here:

Both files are bigger about 14.5 MB, so make sure your connection can handle it.

• 7 years later...

Case of issue was black. Not red.

Looks like the latest generation copy to me. Note the ridges that appear on the edges of the ?se. Note the lack of a clear cross at the top of the crown. In the absence of way better scans, I think you'd be nuts to pay 4K for this piece. In any event, the asking price is at least double the going rate in Germany.

Should match this exactly:

​Hi,

what can we call the going rate for 2015?

Thanks

Chris

In the neighborhood of $2500 for the cross alone.

Also, there is no certainty about the correct color of the case. This is one of the great mysteries of Prussian collecting. Most agree that green or red can both be correct but I don't think black is considered correct.