News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Burma/Myanmar unknowns

JBFloyd

• Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Jeff!! Fascinating! :jumping:

As I know you know, reliable information on Myanmar awards is nonexistent, but let me see what I can find. I at least now have a couple of contacts who know the language. But the legends are usually totally useless.

I hope these are what I think they are?! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And the last batch. The one on the yellow/blue ribbon is labelled "Good Soldier Medal". The last came out of Myanmar, but looks like it's of Chinese origin (although probably a souvenir/good luck token sort of thing).

This whole batch came through an employee of an NGO who travels extensively to places well off the beaten path.

Ed, these will reappear at the end of May.

Edited by JBFloyd

And the last batch. The one on the yellow/blue ribbon is labelled "Good Soldier Medal". The last came out of Myanmar, but looks like it's of Chinese origin (although probably a souvenir/good luck token sort of thing).

This whole batch came through an employee of an NGO who travels extensively to places well off the beaten path.

Ed, these will reappear at the end of May.

Hello Mr Floyd,the medal at left ( good soldier medal ) has an incorrect ribbon,even if the ribbon is from Myanmar it is not correct.The correct ribbon for this medal is green with wide central red stripe and a very tiny black strip in the middle of the red one (it is exactly the ribbon you post on the top of this topic).

I have been there in february 2006,but more important I spent 2 hours in their very boring Military Museum,where there is only 1 showcase with medals on display,so photo allowed,but you can take as many notes and darw sketches as you wish,so I did.

I will post later what I have in Myanmar,but it seems the yellow ribbon with bleu-greyish edge stripes is fit for many medals of Police and Civilian working for the administration.Lots of policemen and civil civic ??? teams wear ribbon bar yellow with bleu edged stripes.

On lot 2 the 45 millimeters "look a like" breast star is common to found there in Scott Market for 5 US $ and good quality.

I will post more later,too bad the the phaleristica encyclopedia is not available any more ....?

Could youn tell me why ?

Emmanuel

The first of several photos of unknown Burma/Myanmar pieces. The one with 3 stars on the obverse is described as "Peace Medal, Shan Border".

Any information greatly appreciated.

Hello Mr Floyd,the medal at right with 3 star on it has wrong robbon too.Ribbon should be the one put on the medal with 1 star ( on lot 2)

This 3 star medal is a long service award for all service so ribbon has colours green,sky bleu and navy bleu with tiny red strip in middle of then coloured stripes.

In 1 week or more I will post more info.

Emmanuel

There is an official English language publication which has information on decorations and medals with illustrations (drawings). It is the government annual almanac or directory, full of statistics, trade addresses, tourist information, etc. A very general work, which on the face of it should have nothing in it about medals and decoration, but it does. The most recent edition can usually be found on the open shelves of the government directories section of any large good national library.

I faintly remember that it may well be called something like "Burma Year Book and Directory" or "Myanmar Year Book and Directory" but the next time I am at the British Library, I will try and note down the title.

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...

There is an official English language publication which has information on decorations and medals with illustrations (drawings). It is the government annual almanac or directory, full of statistics, trade addresses, tourist information, etc. A very general work, which on the face of it should have nothing in it about medals and decoration, but it does. The most recent edition can usually be found on the open shelves of the government directories section of any large good national library.

I faintly remember that it may well be called something like "Burma Year Book and Directory" or "Myanmar Year Book and Directory" but the next time I am at the British Library, I will try and note down the title.

At long last I managed to get down to the British Library on Friday.

Alas, I could not find the book I recall seeing some years ago. However, I did thumb through a fairly recent copy of "Myanmar Facts & Figures" (2000) which had some information on Burmese medals. Colour pictures of about three of the medals and a full list of decorations and awards, including titular honours. But no detail or full set of pictures that I recall seeing in one of these official Burmese directories a few years ago.

Cheers

James

Hello Gentlemen,

here are some of the medal I got in Rangoon in february 2006.I got some more,and my total budget was around 100 US $ for +/- 20 medals.

Here on this picture are 3 medal related to the Liberation War (against the japanese first,then the british).All have their correct ribbon !!!

I have visited their very boring Military Museum (it's not its current name,but it is army museum).

The one with standing soldier has letter B.I.A on reverse ...Burmese Insurection Army.

Maybe Ed could help,as his fantastic encyclopedia is not anymore on line.

Emmanuel

Hello again,

here are 3 medal related to Army Service (again with their correct ribbon).

The one with a green ribbon with central red stripe is as long as I remember a kind of Meritorious Service Awards and is not so much worn on ribbon bar of soldier and officer your cross at airport or in the street.

The star with bleu ribbon and central stripe of red & white has been translated by : Valouros Warrior Star.But this star is easy to found for 3 dollars without ribbon,I paid 10 US $ for 1 with its ribbon.

It is correct as their is only 1 show case in their army museum,and this medal is on display.

I have to add that at Sedona Hotel,there was an officer which had his wedding celebration the day I arrived there and he wore that decoration with that ribbon too.

The gilded star with 3 stars is a kind of long service awards for the 3 service (Army,Navy,Air Force).

The reverse will be posted next.

Emmanuel

Hello again,

Here is 3 medal which I guess related to Police.Lots,lots of Police Officers and servicemen wore 1 or 2 ribbon yellow with bleu stripes.But there is others awards too.

The one in center with the crossed swords is a kind of gallantry award,for army ? for police ?

That one was expensive 15 US $ but ribbon is again correct (with ribbon brooch pin to attach to uniform).I have to add that this one with crossed swords was hidden by the guy who sold it,he was a litlle bit afraid.

Reverse posted on next

Emmanuel

The last 3 were not found in Burma,but from auction in Europe.

Burma Aung San Civil Bravery Medal (a kind of George Cross ?)

Reverse blank and size : 50 x 30 millimeters.It's in metal,not silver.

Emmanuel

This is an Army Award.

It's Thiha Thura Tazeit or Brave as a Lion Medal , it's a gallantry award to armed force.

Again it's metal and small : 25 x 28 millimeters.

Reverse is blank on mine,but earlier might have had a reverse inscription ?

Emmanuel

I forgot that one which is possible to found in ex-Yougoslavia.

No one seems to know what exactly is,but it is of very good,typically yugoslav workmanship.

Maybe an award created only for Tito State Visit in Rangoon.

Tito made a trip to India & Burma in 1954,by boat....

It's made in silver gilt & reverse is blank.

I have to add that the one with standing soldier and BIA on reverse (see the 1st picture I have posted today) has also been made in Yugoslavia and is then of surperior quality workmanship.Lots of Tito minister & high ranking officials got awards during this State Visit.

Yugoslavia also issued a medal for that voyage.

Emmanuel

As long as I understood those 3 stars are the equivalent of Labor Medal in 3 classes.

They costed me 1 $ for 1 star.

Enamel is of good quality (not made today).

Size : 40 millimeters in the largest dimension (from left to right tip of point).

Emmanuel

I am delighted with all the fantastic information. I wanted to add two illustrations (front and back pages of the Burmese Magazine "Forward" pf January 1979) that might clarify at least some dilemmas. Lamentably, the files, although I have reduced JPEG size to some 400 kb, are still too large to load.

Can someone help?

Dragomir

I am delighted with all the fantastic information. I wanted to add two illustrations (front and back pages of the Burmese Magazine "Forward" pf January 1979) that might clarify at least some dilemmas. Lamentably, the files, although I have reduced JPEG size to some 400 kb, are still too large to load.

Can someone help?

Dragomir

Hello Dragomir,you can send the file to me,and I will re-size them.

My e-mail : svieta@skynet.be

Emmanuel

The first of several photos of unknown Burma/Myanmar pieces. The one with 3 stars on the obverse is described as "Peace Medal, Shan Border".

Any information greatly appreciated.

I guess that the medal on the left side might be Alinga Kyaw Swa, which belonged to the category "Swe" (Titles) on the page 11 of the publication "Orders, Titles and Decorations of The Union of Burma". However, the ribbon is decribed as being "safron, with dark brown stripe 2.10 inch wide in the centre".

Dragomir