News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leather maintenance and restoration

Hello!

Some years ago, after I left the french Navy, I learned the job of saddler as I'm fond of horses, horse riding, and leathercraft.

Here are some tips I learned by the craftsman who teached me the job.

I apologize in advance for english mistakes, it's not my first language!

Cleaning:

Never soak leather! To clean it, use a clean and damp cotton rag that you gently rubbed on ordinary soap. Let the leather dry at room temperature. Never make it dry in direct sunlight or on a heater. Once it's dry, nourish the leather with a colorless cream containing beeswax, avocado oil, or lanolin. Apply the cream and rub with a clean and dry cotton rag, only on the smooth side of leather.

For leather goods you regularly use, this cleaning have to done monthly.

Grease:

Only use grease for leather care made of natural substances (ask retailer), never use synthetic grease! Once a year only, apply the grease on rough side of leather only. That's enough. Otherwise, as grease doesn't dry nor evaporates, there will be too much grease in the leather and it will turn fat and slack!..

Old and dry leather:

When an old leather is cracked, there is nothing to do to restore. It's too late.

When an old leather is simply stiff, and not cracked, it's possible to soften. Never use grease or oil to soften leather! To soften a small piece of leather (belt, chin strap, etc...), you can use steam: put the leather above the valve of a cooker, then apply grease as described above.

Shoe polish:

Shoe polish is designed to shine shoes. It doesn't mean that it's good for leather care!!! Shoe polish most oftenly is made of synthetic substances or petroleum, so it doesn't nourish the leather. On the contrary, it often dehydrates leather and make it stiff!.. Banish shoe polish from you leather care equipment!

Leather care products:

Don't forget that leather is an animal product. So, only use soap, cream, and grease (or oil) made of natural substances because only these products provide useful substances to leather. That's why you mustn't use synthetic care products, even if some of them are popular in riding clubs!..

;)

Edited by Phil2012

Very well said, Phil. I do a little work with old leather from time to time and am forever saying what you've said here. Only, in my case, not nearly so succinctly! Especially good are your words on old leather: "It's too late." I often ask people if they think soaking a piece of wood in water will turn it from dry lumber back into green wood. They always answer 'no' but still want to try and 'rejuvenate' old leather by rubbing grease into it. Maddening! :banger:

Thanks for youer words of wisdom!

Peter

Hello Phil,

An excellent post with very useful information. Your use of the English language is very good and quite easy to understand.

Than you for posting this valuable information.

Regards

Brian

Peter,

If only rejuvenation were possible through the application of grease I would fill a swimming pool with it and plunge in. :lol:

Regards from the "shelf-life expired",

Brian

Thanks a lot for your comments! Well, I tried to summarize the most important points and not to overload my post with details. Of course anyone can post questions about problems they happen to meet, I'll try to answer! ;)

I often ask people if they think soaking a piece of wood in water will turn it from dry lumber back into green wood. They always answer 'no' but still want to try and 'rejuvenate' old leather by rubbing grease into it. Maddening!

I use to meet the same problem, Peter! Some years ago, on a french forum about horse riding, I managed a topic about horse equipment and leather care. Some people sometimes said that my pieces of advice for leather care were wrong because their riding instructor said something different. So, I replied "Everyone his own work! The instructor's domain is riding, the saddler's one is horse garment and leather care. I do not ever doubt my monitor because he is the professional. But about saddles and leather, I do manage!"

It's not easy because in my area most riding clubs have very bad habits about leather care: for example they apply grease monthly, on both sides of leather, etc... and of course after some time the leather is too much soft and even sticky! That's why, after some time explaining this and that, I finally let people think what they want!.. :whistle:

• 2 years later...

Depends, As a rule I prefer not to use anything unless I have no choice.

I bought a W1 belt that was so hard and dry/ misshapen, untouched since the war it probably would have snapped like wood. So I filled the sink with hot water added a little dish detergent and let it soak.

Now pliable I laid it out flat when dry I gave it Ballistol, its the best natural product on the planet always has been I'd forgotten until a few years ago when a German gent mentioned it again.

I even took a diluted measure into work and used it as 'white water' for machining work instead of the mixed up muck provided, car around the home weapons, its wonderful and bio as well.

1904 developed Dr. Helmet Klever adopted by the Army 1905-45 they found the product so versatile even used by medics on wounds. Depends on pre-condition but generally doesn't darken leather either, the belt was in poor shape but thankfully not badly cracked.

Cheers

Eric

P3123032.JPG

P3123032.thumb.JPG.1d9c4cd958ed6a333e9a7

Peter I went the whole hog and bought a gallon can lol! blimey it'll probably last me a 100yrs! I bought it on-line actually the outlet for me is right here in Carolina. I just wanted one oil for everything instead of all these nasty chemicals.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...