News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oficer's Cross, with swords, of the Oldenburg Order Of Peter Frederick Ludwig

From what I have read, there were 8 recipients of the Officer's Cross, with swords, of the Oldenburg House Merit Order of Peter Frederick Ludwig. Anyone know who the recipients were, or how I can find them without having to find numerous rank lists? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stevenn

Oberst von Glasenapp

Oberst von Oppen

Oberstleutnant von Hohnhorst

Oberst Hohnhorst

Oberstleutnant Freiherr von Ledebur

Oberstleutnant Heye

Oberst v. Taysen

Oberstleutnant Selkmann

Oberst von Normann

"more awards after 1918 are possible"

According to Friedhelm Beyreiß Der Hausorden und die tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Großherzogtums Oldenburg

Regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

Thank you very much for your help. I've heard of Glasenapp, and Hohnhorst, but the others are new names to me. I have an officer's cross with swords, but had no idea that it was rare. I've seen quite a number of them without swords and always assumed that there must be 20 to 30 with swords.

Is the book you refer to a relatively new publication which is easy to get, or is it something that can only be found in antiquarian book stores and a few libraries?

I am surprised that there wasn't any naval recipients of the Officer's cross.

I had a look at your Gallery and you have some fine pieces in your collection. I do have an Imperial German Jewish Chaplain's (as illustrated in Husken's Orden und Ehrenzeich des Deutchen Reiches 1871-1945 item 187); however, it looks as though someone tried to destroy it. There is a scar on the reverse, which shows on the obverse, that looks like it was hit with an axe. or a chisel, and then welded back together. Not in good shape, but it's better than not having one at all.

Thank you again for your help. I must find out how to put photos in the forum.

Stevenn

Edited by stevenn

Thank you very much for your help. I've heard of Glasenapp, and Hohnhorst, but the others are new names to me.

Four of these were also recipients of the Order pour le Merite:

Ernst v. Hohnhorst

Leopold Freiherr v. Ledebur

Gustav v. Oppen

Friedrich v. Taysen

Most commanded Oldenburg regiments. Friedrich v. Taysen, commander of Sachsen-Weimar's IR 94, and Ernst Heye, were native Oldenburgers.

Regards

Thank you both for all the great information. Interesting information regarding the PLMs. I often find that when I am going through dealers' catalogues that I am shaking my head at the values put on awards. Compare how many PLMs awarded vs. how many Oldenburg PFL officer crosses, with swords, were awarded and then look at the inverse relationship between rarity and value. I can understand how a national award makes a national hero, and that the rules of supply and demand, in the marketplace, help create monetary value, but the size of the inverse relationships still makes me wonder. The good news is that I do love the Oldenburg awards and can collect them without adding too many mortgages on the house, or arranging escrow, as is becoming the necessity with PLMs.

Thanks again. I now have some research to keep me occupied while a blizzard rages outside.

Stevenn

• 1 year later...

He wears EK1, Wound Badge, and two what appears to be two variations of the officer's class of Oldenburg Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig - Officer’s Cross with Swords.

Hohnhorst.

... Excellent quality copies are in circulation and are being sold as originals with great regularity. They are finding their way into major european auktion houses and are slipping past the experts. Recent examples are Zeige and Kuenker. ...

May be it is of some use, to see an officer cross of the Oldenburg House Order without swords for comparison. I am quite sure, that this is an original awarded one.

Regards, Komtur.

FWIW, my understanding is that the only wartime jeweler for these was Bernard Knauer. They used the mark "B. KNAUER" up to the early '20's, usually on the underside of the pin. The mark was changed to simply "KNAUER" sometime in the early '20's. Although marks can easily be reproduced, I understand that pieces marked only "KNAUER" without the "B" are, at best, 1920's or 1930's replacements.