News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russians with Turkish Awards

JapanX

Hi Nick

That is an awesome Russo-Turkish WAR bar with the Danube Crossing and of course the others too. I'd like to ask a question about this bar in regards to the St.Vladimir that for sure has the 25 or 35 year service inscription on the arms. The first to have seen one on any bar :speechless1:. As I was told prior to the Russian Revolution the year was spelled out in 4 letters and after 1917 the year was written in 3 letters. I have seen several examples over the years being spelled in both ways. Safe to say that good examples should only be 4 letters and three letter examples should be suspect. Perhaps the forgers now know this and corrected their mistake and are making the year of service with a 4 letter inscription. Thanks

Sincerely

Brian

That is an awesome Russo-Turkish WAR bar with the Danube Crossing and of course the others too. I'd like to ask a question about this bar in regards to the St.Vladimir that for sure has the 25 or 35 year service inscription on the arms.

Hi Brian,

as far as I know this admiral was awarded with order of St.. Vladimir in 4th Class with swords and bow, 3rd and 2nd classes.

No 35 (or 25) years for him ;)

As I was told prior to the Russian Revolution the year was spelled out in 4 letters and after 1917 the year was written in 3 letters.

Yes.

Before revolution

Летъ

After

Лет

Three letter versions are indeed exist, but they belong to the 1850s-1860s period of time.

Old slavian letter ѣ used in these.

Inscription looks like

Лѣт

Best,

Nick

Hi Brian,

as far as I know this admiral was awarded with order of St.. Vladimir in 4th Class with swords and bow, 3rd and 2nd classes.

No 35 (or 25) years for him ;)

Yes.

Before revolution

Летъ

After

Лет

Three letter versions are indeed exist, but they belong to the 1850s-1860s period of time.

Old slavian letter ѣ used in these.

Inscription looks like

Лѣт

Best,

Nick

Hi Nick

Many kind thanks for explaining that. Rarely as one does come across the inscription Vladimirs it is no shock to see turn of the century examples displaying three letters across the arm. Now I know only mid 19th century examples that are properly marked and bare that old cyrillic letter should be good :beer: . This info that you provided is great for the collecting community, just hope the forgers don't view this thread.

Sincerely

Brian

P.S.

If you were talking about officer in post # 3, then he indeed has long-service Vladimir.

For 25 years with the bow.

(crosses with inscription 35 years were issued only to civilians)

Post three it was. Had no idea that only civilaians received the 35 year inscription. I recall the early ones for military should have a bow on the ribbon since the swords did not exist before the Crimea War. What is interesting even with the swords, one does come across the bow attached to the ribbon.

Sincerely

Brian

I recall the early ones for military should have a bow on the ribbon since the swords did not exist before the Crimea War.

November 26 (December 7), 1789 bow was introduced to mark 4th classes issued for military merit.
    In 1855 swords were introduced.
    Between 1855 and 1857 military St.Vladimir orders were issued with swords, but without bow.
    But in 1857 bow was returned.
    4th class St. Vladimir order with swords - for civilians
    4th class St. Vladimir order with swords and bow - for servicemen
    Since 1855 4th class with bow but without swords and with inscriprion "25 years" was issued for 25 years of service in officer ranks.
    Best,
    Nick
    Edited by JapanX

Hi Nick

Post 34 is awesome in seeing examples of swords above the cross :speechless1: ( example 14 & 15 ) viewing genuine badges is a real privilege. The Russians must have copied this award system from the German States that had this practice in place. Basically they were allowed to add swords above if they were a holder of a lower grade with swords ( through cross ). I assume this is the reason for the Russians doing it. I have never come across a Russian badge with swords above which makes me believe they were awarded for a very short period of time. Thank you for those clear fotos and the detailed rules on the wearing of the ribbon with bow.

Sincerely

Brian

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 9 months later...