News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Danilo-Friedrich von Stecher

This one recently came into the collection, it is a beautiful piece and I can't be more happy with it :D a nice tag on the bottom mentioning the Austrian recipient is also present. Along with 14k Austrian hallmarks on the crown suspension ring and hallmarks for VM (Vinc Mayer) on both the gold suspension ring and silver Danilo piece itself :)

In a general search online that I was doing while trying to find more information on Captain von Stecher, I was fortunate to find that a friend on the forum, Iver :) owns another piece from Battleship Captain Friedrich von Stecher's orders and medals :) he shared with me his research on him and I'm looking forward to Iver's following posts, I feel like we've "re-united" the pieces of the Captain's collection. Here is a link to Iver's topic :)for his Bronze Military Merit Medal to Captain von Stecher

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/63510-bronze-military-merit-medal-friedrich-von-stecher/

Here are some pics

DSCN9595_zps590d2d62.jpg

Reverse:

RSCN9600_zps6ddd5952.jpg

RSCN9610_zps6fecabeb.jpg

and I was able to find his Order of Danilo Roll, here is the extract where he is listed :

FS10_zpsf8db91ba.png

I'll post a bit more information on the Captain, when Iver gets a chance to post :)

Any information, photos, comments are greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Rogi

Absolutely amazing piece, my congrats!

Enamel looks perfect, box is in very nice shape with golden coat of arms of the Principality of Montenegro on the lid unbelievably preserved after all these years. Even the recipient is know, really can't get much better than that :)

Many thanks for sharing it with us :beer:

Thank you both for the kind comments :D

Hopefully a photo of Captain von Stecher will turn up :D would be nice to have that :)

I'll try and post a bit more info. in the next couple days :) have found a good amount of info. on the ship he was Captain of :D

• 7 months later...

Almost forgot, many thanks to Iver :) I was able to pull some funds together and these pieces were re-united.

STECHER1_zpsa6b8fa27.jpg

Together again:

STECHER2_zps21d27d50.jpg

Hopefully in the future more will be able to re-join the group, many Thanks  again to Iver, which this could not have happened without him :)

Gentlemen,

This is all very nice, but the photograph shows Danilo III class, not II class as quoted in Register!

​In the register I see his name listed under the Danilo III listing right above 2 officers of lesser rank that also received the Danilo IIIrd class,

the Danilo II listing is separated by a semicolon, unless this means something different in Austro-Hungarian at the time, my understanding is that the semicolon (;) separates items in a list (in this case Danilo II and Danilo III) since the list itself has numerous commas in it.

You can see the same division from the Danilo III class and Danilo 4th class in the list, after the semicolon, highest ranking officer is listed, then proceeding to lower ranked officers, and finally indicating that they were awarded the Order of Danilo 4th Class.

Igor,

Well done on the reunite, is the Danilo a Mayer piece?

Paul

Thank you all for the comments :)

Paul,

​Yes it is a Mayer piece, It has a couple hallmarks on it as well, when I have the time I'll try to post some from the piece.

I believe that Rogi is right. Apart from what he already wrote we can see that rear admiral also received Legion of Honor which is listed after Danilo. To me that indicates that he was the sole recipient of Danilo II.

Gentlemen,

You are quite right, the mistake was mine. Somehow I erroneously attributed awards of von Pittner to Stecher.

Dragomir

​No worries at all Dragomir, the list isn't written too clearly, I would of rather someone indicated something, than not :) thank you for letting us know :)