News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Span-am or WW1 bust? ID help

jonsey2001

Greetings,

I have volunteered to post this for an older gentleman. He is curious to know who this is. It is un signed and is very nicely done. If anyone can figure out who this is or can point me in the right direction, all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards... George

Hi Rogi, admittedly I smiled after reading your reply. I don't think it is a mass produced item because of the detail. The wrap around the shoulder is the American flag. Hopefully this will spark a Nice discussion.

Best.. George

Hi Rogi, admittedly I smiled after reading your reply. I don't think it is a mass produced item because of the detail. The wrap around the shoulder is the American flag. Hopefully this will spark a Nice discussion.

Best.. George

Hello George, I don't think it is a mass produced item either, but given the 5th/6th Cavalry tab (can't see too well with my eyes) and it appears almost like wood, have you been able to determine the material? I think it is a famous member of the 5th or 6th, it can't be too hard to track down, hopefully someone will know :)

It's not Cavalry.  Those are crossed rifles.  Looks like 6th Infantry Regiment.  A famous US regiment.  George, have you or your friend done any basic research?  If you have any clues to help us help you, that would be useful.  As Rogi suggests it is likely a notable member of the regiment.  A basic look at the history of the 6th Infantry from Spanish-American War to WWI might reveal some clues.  Let us know what you find and perhaps we can dig deeper with those clues.

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello, I performed a couple basic searches, not much to report back.

The material is chalk or plaster, with a nice bronze paint. It is crossed rifles with a 6. I am thinking Span Am war.

What is more appropriate as a description brigade, division or batallion?

Thank you again!

George

George, I am not a US uniform expert.  (I wonder what happened to Captain Albert, a GMIC member who is expert in this era of US military.)  But a quick Google search (less than 10 minutes) shows that the tunic is similar to the M1895 Officer's Blue Undress Blouse.  In 1902, the service dress changed to an olive drab, with blue being reserved for formal or mess wear.  In 1917, the wearing of blue for any uniform was suspended (it was brought back in 1928).

So, your my best guess is that your bust depicts an officer after 1895 and likely prior to 1902.  So, your guess of Spanish American War period is a good one.

$_12.JPG

Officer on left wears a the M1895 Undress Blouse that looks very much like your bust.

So, let's consider what Google can tell us about the history of the 6th US Infantry during that time...

Spanish-American War: The 6th US Infantry was at San Juan Hill and was involved in heavy fighting.  I recommend you see if you can find details - some names might give you some clues and then you can try and find a picture that looks like your bust.

The 6th Infantry then went to the Philippines and fought several hard engagements from 1899-1902.  Another place to look for officers and possible pictures to see if someone looks like your bust.  I'd start with trying to find a picture of Captain Bernard A. Byrne, an officer of the regiment who won the Medal of Honor for action in the Philippines in 1899. (Another rapid search result suggests he may have been the first 6th Infantry soldier to win the MOH - adding to my suspicion that this is a bust of Byrne.)

I did another quick Google search for an image of Byrne, but came up naught.  He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery though.

Edited by IrishGunner

Out of an estate. I have find out about the family. I didn't think to ask, when i took these pics. Thank you for the insight. If I manage to dig anything up i will be sure to share. We really do not see things like this every day.

• 2 months later...

Deal with the paint - remove or cover it - still seems worthwhile to me.

Never leave items that look like they need a bit of "freshening up" near elderly people - my grandmother would attack gilding with wire wool and Brasso, paper with sellotape, my father did the same with a lovely green patinad 2000 year old bronze axe head and a batch of medieval crossbow bolt headsheads.

Ah, the old ways are the best eh?

Remembered - you might very well find that the new metallic paint will dull right down to something approximating the old with time.

Edited by leigh kitchen