News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coronel - Boarder Guards - 1976-1988

Riker87

Yesterday my Coronel's service uniform of the Boarder Guards has been arrived from the USA. It's the same model like in the army. Only the buttons have a silver colour. The Cuban Boarder Guards belongs to the Ministry of the Interior. That's why the hat badge shows "MININT" - Ministerio del Interior. More pictures of it you'll find the next days on my site cuba-militaria.

SDC16172_zpserfx4r3l.jpg

You're welcome. No, this version was only in use from 1976 until 1988. I name this era "the soviet era" because in this time the Cubans used many soviet parts and equipment for their uniforms (for example the collar tabs, shoulder boards, green shirts etc.)

The shoulder boards are soviet, only the stars are cuban made.

I was wondering about the insignia.  The shoulder boards look soviet, but adapted with the slide in strap on the back.  

Until 1988 the Cubans used the same soviet shoulder boards, which were adapted how you've described. From 1988 until ca. the mid 90s, the Cubans used this shoulder boards too, but modified. They've cut the straps of the shoulder boards off and slided them on the straps of the new beige shirts, which are still in use.

Here a picture of this modified shoulder boards on the new shirts, which were introduced in 1988. I could take some photos in the Army Museum of Dresden (ex East German Army museum of the NVA):

SDC15551_zpsacjj4qre.jpg

SDC15552_zpsltl7mrrs.jpg

And here a picture of a MININT uniform which is actually in use:

DSC04602%20Medium_zpsmxxxyvo2.jpg