News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal......criteria?

Ladies/Gents,

I've surfed the net, but failed to find the answer I'm looking for. To that end can anyone out there answer my question. Its well documented that you have to now do 20 years to qualify for the Police LSGC, but does anyone know whether, previous military service counts towards it?

BJOW.

No your military service does not count in any way. It was taken into account for the Golden and Diamond jubilee.

Craig

​Thanks Craig, that's exactly what I'd always been led to believe. Do you know where I could obtain this is writing? As I'm aware of examples were this hasn't been the case.....

Thanks Mariner,

BJOW I've never heard of any exceptions and know of guys who had to leave on reaching 50years of age with 21 years service in the Police and military service who didn't get the LSGC medal when you still had to do 22 years service.

Craig

No.thumb.png.4606bec46cc9818fec64a30f6c5

This document is from West Yorkshire Police. The one below is from Kent Police, which goes into a little more detail, which might be of interest?

3.2. Eligibility criteria 

3.2.1. All serving officers with Kent Police are eligible for this award. The timing of the award will be calculated based on “pensionable” or “approved” service with Kent Police and any previous “pensionable” or “approved” service as defined within current police regulations. Please note that only aggregated police service will count and not any service in the military or transferred military pension. Previous service as a member of staff with Kent Police or any other police force does not count for the purposes of this award.

• 3 weeks later...

BJOW I've never heard of any exceptions and know of guys who had to leave on reaching 50 years of age with 21 years service in the Police and military service who didn't get the LSGC medal when you still had to do 22 years service.

I know of a chap who joined the RAF in the early '60s, spent his entire time in the UK, left after twelve, joined the police after a spell at uni, did twenty-one years and compulsory retired at 60 as a Sgt in 2001. That's thirty-three years of uniformed service with not one single medal to show for it. Had he remained in a few more months he'd have qualified for the 2002 Jubilee Medal. And I know of another chap who did three years and got two for one six-month UNFICYP tour in '91 slap bang in the middle of Op Granby (I myself missed out on that particular party by a mere four weeks). And then there's another chap who missed out on his LS&GC thirty-year bar by six months because he joined as a junior and did 'one for the Queen'. And then there's a mate of mine who missed out on her ACSM by twenty-four hours. Such is life.

:rolleyes:

Tony, the injustice of it all.

I remember being regaled by my Staffie back in the day about how as a joke the company clerk had booked him on return flight a day before he'd have qualified for some UN gong for a tour in Africa (Uganda or Rwanda I forget which one). Now that's squaddie humour in the extreme for you lol.