News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kratzen, welcome your thoughts

I have two issue Train caps and this is not even close to them in construction. If I could only see the outside, I would say it could be a private purchase cap, but seeing the inside, I really have my doubts about it being a period piece. The lining appears to be an effort to look like an issue lining and doesn't match what the outside says. Personally, I would advise to leave it alone.

Best regards,

Chip

Chris,

If you could see mine, you would know. I've got 16 issue Feldmützen and have seen hundreds more over the years. From that knowledge and observation I can form a pretty good guess. I have to admit, however, that the repros are getting better and better to the point that one has to have a piece in hand to make a determination.

Chip

The cap in question has a taller profile than a normal issue cap, as you have shown in your comparison. The gray area below the bottom edge of the band is wider than on issue caps. The lining is not typical. The legible marks look like some property marks from a costume shop or a theater. The blotted out mark is worrisome. I suppose it could be OK, but it certainly is no issue cap. Once you get into the private purchase area, you can make excuses for anything. It's a fine line sometimes.

Chip

Chip when I see that bottom edge gap you mention it turns me off, btw are you in this picture with other school chums? :lol:

Eric

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2015_03/00075101_(2).jpg.6d76889e7a7370bf75808958f882d1a0.jpg

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2015_03/00075101_(2).jpg.6d76889e7a7370bf75808958f882d1a0.jpg

Chip when I see that bottom edge gap you mention it turns me off, btw are you in this picture with other school chums? :lol:

Eric

00075101 (2).jpg

​Yeah. That's me on the front left. Out of focus as usual. :wacky:

Hello! I don´t want to talk wise, but I had a problem with the word "Kratzen". The german word "kratzen" means "to scratch".

The word for the cap is "Krätzchen". There is no english word for it, because it´s not an official german word, but a word taken from the soldier´s language.

By the way, it´s a very nice Krätzchen! The stamp is a little bit strange. Not an usual one. Gk could stand for Garde-Korps

:cheers:

Andy Chip

How's one spelling better than the other they both have a funky above a letter, call it 'Pork Pie' and have done with it. :) A mate of mine has a copy made from an old rat greatcoat, I''l try and get photos of some copies at a gig coming up here's my 30yr old copy note the fake stamp and the incorrect stitched down lining. A note on Kokarde (Abzeichen) if it has white and fails UV,, its fake.

Eric

P3253063.JPG

P3253064.JPG

P3253065.JPG

P3253066.JPG

P3253063.thumb.JPG.dc9cc29082ae49c03f472

P3253064.thumb.JPG.3755715cbc3ab6b0959c6

P3253065.thumb.JPG.5a9b6b96880126ca7c04c

P3253066.thumb.JPG.70e4f252f95c64d014aeb