News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reserve Field Artillery Regiment 32

Gentlemen - Please forgive my amateur abilities in researching WWI units. What division would I attribute this unit to? I would think 32. Division (from Saxony) but I don't see a match. I only have "251 Divisions" to really work with...

Thanks, Chris. Any chance they would have been formed in 1917 around the same time as 96 ID? Or, would they have been an existing unit used to form the new division?

You are seeing the 53 RD reference elsewhere than 251 Divisions?

Any coincidence that 23. ID, 96. ID and 53. RD were all Saxon (provided there is some connection to 23. ID which there very well isn't)?

I ask all this because I want to understand these Imperial units - I am spoiled as I generally concentrate on WWII when the Wehrmacht was nationalized and much easier to follow. I also have reference to an Unteroffizier named Lutz in 1. Batterie.

Both the October 1917 and April 1918 British Index to German Forces in the Field show it assigned to the 96.I.D. Von Stein's research shows "23.Res.Felda.Br.der 23.R.D., He.Art. Ob.Ost,,Mai 1917 96.ID., März 1918 53.R.D., zuletzt He.Art. b. 18.Armee".

Chip

My notes from 251. Divisions show RFAR 32 with 23. Res. Div in 1915 and 1916.  I'm getting ready to sit down to a "romantic" dinner with my Frau; so, I probably won't be able to check deeper in my references until tomorrow.

Those Kraus books on the field artillery are readily available. I have the infantry volumes, but not the FAR books yet. They are at the top of the list the next time I get some money. :D

Chip

In looking at the list of various units the Regiment was subordinate to, and how often the Regiment was spread around, it strike me as pretty extraordinary. Is it, though? Obviously units get borrowed from time to time but was this type of thing more common during WWI?