News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I thought I would put these up.  I don't know if there is already a thread on these.  If so it can be moved by all means.  All sizes here.

PS  The goldish look on some of these may be from the flash of the scanner.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Hi.

A small german lesson, if I may... :wacky:

You write: Nun erst rechts. "Rechts" with an s means right (in opposite to left). Recht without an s is written with a capirtal R and means "Right"  (used in "having a right")

So, the badge doesn´t show the destination (right or left way), but "Nun erst Recht" means "Right now!". You use it with a million of exclamation marks and you could bang one´fist on the table by using this term.

So then there are 5 Nun Erst Recht and not plural.  Kind of like One sheep and then 5 sheep and not 5 sheeps.  The diference being that the plural for Recht  is a word and sheeps is not.  I am trying to think now of an English word that means something other than when it is in its' singular form.  Brain teaser!

Allright Uwe Thank You  Unfortunately for me German was spoken by my Mother and Father behind closed doors only.  Guilt or shame or both by them not sure.  But bad for me now as I am at a great disadvantage.  Good Sunday.

So then there are 5 Nun Erst Recht and not plural.  Kind of like One sheep and then 5 sheep and not 5 sheeps.  The diference being that the plural for Recht  is a word and sheeps is not.  I am trying to think now of an English word that means something other than when it is in its' singular form.  Brain teaser!

​As Uwe correctly said, "nun erst recht" is a set phrase which best translates to "now more than ever". It has no plural or singular.

The key to understanding this, is the word "erst" which is a particle (not to be confused with the adjective "erst" - same spelling - which means "first, at the beginning"). In German, like in English, particles cannot be inflected, therefore there is neither plural nor singular.

The only correct translation of "rechts" (with an "s" - either adverb or preposition) is "right/on the right side" as a statement of place. 

Funnily enough, when first reading the title, a thought passed through my mind that this could be an intentional misspelling to be understood as a word play i.e. the Nazis are on the very right side of the political spectrum/ the phrase on the badge.  

German grammar is difficulty. I understand.

Did somebody see the movie "Clockwise" with John Cleese?

He always said: "Right", once if he means "OK" and once, if he means "Turn right". In german language that doesn´t make a sense.

In the german translation we have:
    Turn right: "Rechts"

OK: "Recht so"

• 1 month later...