News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm not sure in which forum to post this thread, as the ribbons wil likely not all be German states' awards. But anyway, I need some help identifying them, so hopefully others will see this thread an stop by.

At a recent show I bought a large collection of ribbons. I have Guido Rosignoli's book on ribbons, I have the Bänderkatalog, and I have a few good websites bookmarked. But there are a few ribbons which remain stubbornly unidentifiable to me.

I hope the experts on here can help me.

RIBBON 1

I'll start with this one. I guessed Baden but nothing in the Bänderkatalog matches it exactly. Yellow, with a red stripe down the middle and no white edging. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help.

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">IMG_6527.jpg

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">

OK, next question (staying in Baden, even though we really weren't there).

RIBBON 2

This ribbon has a narrower outer yellow stripe than most Baden ribbons I've seen (see lower sample). But could it still be Baden?

IMG_6512.thumb.jpg.8d811f2902c14760c1f88

They're pretty similar and I'm guessing they're the same.

Thoughts?

13007695_1_l.jpg

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

And one more.

RIBBON 3

This one was found among a batch of Bavarian ribbons. It's blue, then silver (with silvered threads) then thin black, and blue edges. Quite nice.

Any ideas on this one?

IMG_6534.thumb.jpg.040f2eb23e3512829d0ec

Thanks Chris. Yes, it's a good collection.

Some of the ribbons are mid-20th C., maybe WWII medal-bar ribbons. Some are just beautiful old silk ribbons. Some are WWI vintage, and a very few (~10%) are fakes. But most of them are very nice pre-1945 pieces.

It's a collection that someone bought all together in a group from some collector's widow. Someone obviously spent a lifetime putting this collection together. There are ribbons from almost every German state and a lot of foreign countries.

By the way I love this new forum format that allows in-line posting of full-size images (interspersed with text). The best...

Thanks Chris. I thought of Bulgaria too.

They did use this one, which is very close but without the black stripe:

A_Bulgarian_Orde_540dd86b9f3dc.thumb.jpg

But I have not found an exact match.

I've got to say that I'm surprised at how difficult it is to identify some of the ribbons in this collection. Online resources are very incomplete and the older books are mostly useless (though interesting).

So if these can't be identified I'll post the next few -- but I'll keep it up a few more days and hope.

I cant remember offhand, but i cannot remember seeing many german ribbons using the watered silk pattern like in 3 ?

​Hi Chris,

I've seen a lot of German states' awards mounted on medalbars with watered / moiré ribbons which would not originally have had them when awarded. I think it's possible that some ribbon makers made moiré ribbons as a sort of "luxury" type of ribbon, or maybe for mounting. For example I've even seen moiré Iron Cross ribbons, and the Bavarian MVO ribbons seem to me to be about 50/50 regular vs. moiré. Same with the Prussian Crown Order. Some ribbons are moiré and some are not. I'm not even sure if they're supposed to be moiré.

The ribbon  you posted gives me a Bavarian Military Merit vibe for some reason, although excellent quality, is it silk?

The quality and colors almost make me think Military Order of Max Joseph, the quality sure looks like for a higher order.

Thanks Rogi. I agree, it looks pretty close to some of those Bavarian ribbons, but I've yet to find an exact match. I don't quite know if it's silk or not. It's rather "rigid" feeling, which makes me think it's not, but that could be the effect of the silver wire in the stripe.

Here's a closer look.

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">IMG_6537.thumb.jpg.1ec65a13efe09d685b7a6

You can see the silver stripe is composed of alternating silver and white threads.

The card the ribbon is wrapped around says "Bayern Sanität....." and then becomes illegible for the last word or syllable.

I assumed that was an error, or the card was used for a different ribbon before, because I've been unable to find anything that fits the bill.

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">

• 7 years later...

On 29/03/2015 at 07:29, Streptile said:

IMG_6537.thumb.jpg.1ec65a13efe09d685b7a6

The card the ribbon is wrapped around says "Bayern Sanität....." and then becomes illegible for the last word or syllable. I assumed that was an error, or the card was used for a different ribbon before, because I've been unable to find anything that fits the bill.

No error, actually they were quite right: it's the war ribbon of the Kriegserinnerungszeichen 1914/18 des Bayerischen Landesvereins vom Roten Kreuz, instituted in 1924. There's another ribbon, without the black stripes, for home merit. As said, it's no state award, and thus not listed in our major sources... sometimes, it's a bit tricky!

;)

04594 b2.jpeg

04594 c2.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

• 1 month later...
    On 02/08/2022 at 10:19, saschaw said:

No error, actually they were quite right: it's the war ribbon of the Kriegserinnerungszeichen 1914/18 des Bayerischen Landesvereins vom Roten Kreuz, instituted in 1924. There's another ribbon, without the black stripes, for home merit. As said, it's no state award, and thus not listed in our major sources... sometimes, it's a bit tricky!

;)

04594 b2.jpeg

04594 c2.jpeg

Thanks Sascha. That took a while!

On 26/03/2015 at 23:18, Streptile said:

OK, next question (staying in Baden, even though we really weren't there).

RIBBON 2

This ribbon has a narrower outer yellow stripe than most Baden ribbons I've seen (see lower sample). But could it still be Baden?

IMG_6512.thumb.jpg.8d811f2902c14760c1f88

They're pretty similar and I'm guessing they're the same.

Thoughts?

13007695_1_l.jpg

According to “Medal Ribbons &Orders of
    Imperial Germany & Austria D. G. Neville”

This ribbon is for the Baden field service decorations 1814-1871.

Marcus

1027227721_BadenRibbons.thumb.png.628eda6c16fa906a4dc57737a176a99b.png

Edited by Marcus66

• 4 months later...
    On 26/09/2022 at 17:14, Marcus66 said:

This ribbon is for the Baden field service decorations 1814-1871.

It seems to me, Marcus, you are referring to the ribbon with medal Streptile posted, but his question actually referred to another picture, ribbon with no medal, but that picture has been lost within the years...

:whistle: