News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very nice bar. I love these clean fracks.

This guy was likely too young for the FP war - he joined the service in the late 1800s. He was eligible for the Centenary medal because he was there in 1897.

What is also interesting is what is NOT on the bar i.e. Red Eagle Order, Crown Order or any WWI German decoration besides the EK2. This guy was either a very low preforming officers or a General with high orders around the neck.

Very nice bar. I love these clean fracks.

This guy was likely too young for the FP war - he joined the service in the late 1800s. He was eligible for the Centenary medal because he was there in 1897.

​Thanks, Brian. I just wasn't sure of the criteria.

Nice EK2 probably marked S-W with the "Type B14" core -- a core which is basically identical to Godet's famous 1870 Type B but with a new obverse date (1914).

​I never really paid that much attention to the EK2 to be honest. Going to look more closer at it tonight!

Lovely medal bar.

​Thanks!

What is also interesting is what is NOT on the bar i.e. Red Eagle Order, Crown Order or any WWI German decoration besides the EK2. This guy was either a very low preforming officers or a General with high orders around the neck.

​I would imagine the former. Surely a general would have much more awards than this?

Probably a Hauptmann who entered service shortly before March 1897 to qualify for the Centenary.  Promoted Hauptmann/Rittmeister around 1912 and not enough service to get a Red Eagle yet.  If you look at the 1914 rank list, you will see that most captains with that seniority don't have a Red Eagle yet.  So 17 years or so of service before the war, and with Doppelrechnung of the war years, enough time to qualify for the Dienstauszeichnungskreuz before being mustered out around 1920 as a Major.  And if he served in a purely Prussian regiment with no Inhaber or other connection to another state, he easily could have missed out on foreign or other state awards.  Though we get excited over bars with interesting combinations of awards, mainly because of the chance of researching them, his combination is actually probably quite typical for the average officer of his rank.  

Probably a Hauptmann who entered service shortly before March 1897 to qualify for the Centenary.  Promoted Hauptmann/Rittmeister around 1912 and not enough service to get a Red Eagle yet.  If you look at the 1914 rank list, you will see that most captains with that seniority don't have a Red Eagle yet.  So 17 years or so of service before the war, and with Doppelrechnung of the war years, enough time to qualify for the Dienstauszeichnungskreuz before being mustered out around 1920 as a Major.  And if he served in a purely Prussian regiment with no Inhaber or other connection to another state, he easily could have missed out on foreign or other state awards.  Though we get excited over bars with interesting combinations of awards, mainly because of the chance of researching them, his combination is actually probably quite typical for the average officer of his rank.  

​Thanks Dave!

• 3 years later...