News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Service Medal 2008?

I've heard talk of a new GSM `08, which is supposed to run along side the OSM. It appears bars for the new GSM have already been authorised and yet I can find no information or pictures about this new medal on the internet (other than a New Zealand one). Has anyone else heard of this or is my information incorrect?

Would be interested to know...what actions other than humanitarian would qualify since 2008

DIN 761 notes the following;

8A.04. General Service Medal 2008:
    Details on the award of the General Service Medal 2008 will be published in early 2015 following ratification by the HD Committee and Her Majesty The Queen. 

• 6 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Fascinating work Antonio :) ... but it is quite hard to read due to the text being a bit weird. Does anyone else find this? (Using latest version of Adobe Acrobat to read it).

How do you want the work to be referenced, and may the link be shared?

Thank you
    It could change the font, but with the usual types (arial, times) the number of pages up considerably. Therefore the use of such narrow point (could be an arial narrow)
    The link can be shared, always with the hope of receiving updates, fixes, better translations to English (many electronic translations revised), and of course pictures of the medals

The distinct lack of information on this medal, that is in theory some 8 years old now, suggests to me that it's been shelved? 

What I also find interesting is that no medal has been announced for Iraq/Syria yet and as I'm sure everyone is aware this `campaign` has been rumbling on your years now. 

Interestingly if we cast our minds back to Libya in 2011, the UK started combat missions long before NATO became involved and yet there was no GSM 2008 or indeed any UK medal issued for that campaign at all. Instead it appeared that the powers that be just sat back and waited to see what NATO medal was issued then just left it at that? 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Quote from the British medal Forum Nov 2015

"The Defence Instruction and Notices (DIN) outlining the institution of the GSM 2008 has been published. For those with access to DII, it's 2015DIN09-022. As the DIN is yet to be published in the public domain (without wishing to seem precious), I'm not in a position to add much more, other than to say the ribbon is a combination of green and purple and that the approved clasps (5 thus far) are broad geographic areas rather than specific operations and locations".

Nothing further heard...

3 hours ago, dante said:

Quote from the British medal Forum Nov 2015

"The Defence Instruction and Notices (DIN) outlining the institution of the GSM 2008 has been published. For those with access to DII, it's 2015DIN09-022. As the DIN is yet to be published in the public domain (without wishing to seem precious), I'm not in a position to add much more, other than to say the ribbon is a combination of green and purple and that the approved clasps (5 thus far) are broad geographic areas rather than specific operations and locations".

Nothing further heard...

Thanks Dante, it's all very hush hush isn't it? 

Any theories on what the clasps will be? Other than the afore mentioned Libya, current Air ops Iraq and I suppose Syria. I can't think of anything else HM forces have been involved in? Anti-pirate ops perhaps? 

Ok this is a completely random thought; 

The idea of clasps was to save money, the OSM is expensive, so the thought was to have "Near East", North Africa", MENA etc; however when you look at the small amounts of personnel deploying the cost of bars is no more or less than an OSM, also you can correlate the rank of the senior officer deployed on operations to the issuing of a medal.....I also believe that the powers to be are happy for NATO/UN medals to be worn in lieu............  

Hello all, to follow on from the topic of GSM08, I am a recipient for service in Somalia in 2013, the medal ribon is to have the clasp 'East Africa', even though the award has been auctioned I believe the actual medals are yet to be minted. 

'Actioned' sorry, predictive text..!

15 hours ago, Bert69 said:

Hello all, to follow on from the topic of GSM08, I am a recipient for service in Somalia in 2013, the medal ribon is to have the clasp 'East Africa', even though the award has been auctioned I believe the actual medals are yet to be minted. 

'Actioned' sorry, predictive text..!

That's very interesting Bert, although the medal has yet to be issued, I assume you wear the ribbon on your uniform. Would it be possible to get a picture of the new ribbon so we can see what it looks like? 

I'd like to know myself what it looks like? The JPA action has been carried out and interestingly the issue date is in 2013 but no medal or ribon yet. I've even tried to obtain a monitor for my Mess kit but none of the usual military dress suppliers can get hold of one. Previous posts are correct, the DIN was released recently and the medals office are issuing on entitlement but as yet no work on actual issue of the award. As yet, as per the DIN, the only location attracting the new GSM is 'East Africa' which will be the wording of the clasp. I expect the ribon to be the traditional purple and green as per previous iterations of the GSM. 

Miniature not monitor sodding predictive text!!! Again!!!

I could post how it appears on JPA if required??

image.jpeg

• 2 months later...

The GSM08 as previously mentioned is yet to be awarded a contract and is still out to tender. Personnel who were move and tracked correctly on JPA should automatically have their Honours and Awards update to reflect the award. Once the contract is awarded it will be sent to recipients thereafter. Personnel who were not move and tracked correctly will have to manually apply with proof. There is a clasp for East Africa and North Africa, I will confirm the others and add another post later on. I don't think the design is yet public, but I seem to recall that a description is available I will do a search again. Just for info the DINs for all qualifying Ops (about 8 of them) were updated around Feb and supersede the 2015 DIN from Dec.

Bert, the DIN is still restricted, so I would advise against posting ops and areas, screen grabbing designs etc, as there could be ramifications for the forum. However, given that the ribbon design is already 'out' - thanks to a factory tour by HMQ, where the ribbon was clearly on view (amongst the other recent issues) - I cannot see the Defence of the Realm being compromised by a knocked up jpeg on Paintbox. So...

gsm08.jpg