News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Warwickshire Regiment group

Picked this little lot up....WWII pair and Palestine 1945-48 GSM...named to Edward Tookey...came with some photos and other bits including the field blouse..the insignia on the blouse have confused me...it has cloth patch on both sleeves small White triangle within a black triangle,( 1st division infantry?????) and a REME sleeve badge....the blouse has his name inside but it's not the one he is wearing in the photos...can anyone shed any light on why these badges are present? ..thanks in advance 

Pick

• 2 weeks later...

Chris 71  -  to get a full answer to your questions, you may have to draw his papers.   There were two Palestine Campaigns  -  both with  their own GSM's.   Immediately pre-war it was mainly the Royal Navy trying to prevent illegal landings.  Post war was a big operation with mainly the Army  -  even a Bn. of the Mauritius Regt.  and a Regiment from Botswana.   We were fighting the terrorism campaign set-up by Jewish immigrants who wanted the right to establish their home in Israel.    For some reason the British authorities have always favoured the Arabs  -  and I have always thought it wrong that we opposed  -  instead of helping.

Since this was after the end of WW2 I expect their were a number of changes to usual duties.     Mervyn