News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

10th Jäger/Alpenkorps/Verdun/Bavarian connection....

"My remembrances of Verdun"  Yeah, that might be very interesting. I wish my Schrift deciphering talents were better. This is pretty good penmanship and we have participants here who are quite adept at reading this

Chip.

Hello Chris.

Here is my reading. It will go slowly because of inability to really enlarge the script, at least for me.

Meine Erinnerung an Verdun.

Am Morgen des 3.Juni wurden wir in Longuignon (??) ausgeladen und in Richtung Kronprinzenlager in Marsch gesetzt. Ich hatte das Glueck, meinen seit einem Jahre nicht gesehenen Bruder zu treffen. Am Nachmittag des 5. brachen wir in Richtung Ornes auf.Waren wir bis Ornes von der Art. verschont geblieben, so wurde dieses anders als wir ueber die Hoehe in die Brules Schlucht einstiegen. Wir mussten an unserer Art. vorbei und da die gerade im schwersten Kampfe mit der feindl. Art. war bekamen auch wir dann unseren Teil ab. In der Brules Schlucht dann kurzer Auenthalt und dann ging es den alten Verdunkaempfern bekannten Weg zum Fort Douaumont. War es uns auf dem Weg zum Fort schon unheimlich geworden so wurde dieses Gefuehl noch verstaerkt als wir im Fort ankamen. Die Gaenge und Kasematten sind ueberfuellt. Die Luft ist stickig und von Verbandsgeruechen erfuellt dazu das Droehnen der auf das Fort und der umliegenden Gegend liegenden schweren Einschlaege. Wir traten zum Ausgang ( ???) aus dem Fort wieder an und wurde der Befehl gegeben jeder fasst des Vordermanns Seitengewehr, doch hier zeigte es sich sofort...

I will continue soon.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Hello , the continuation :

..nach dem Austritt aus dem Fort, dass es nicht immer moeglich ist den Befehl auszufuehren. Wir wurden durch schweres Granatfeuer auseinander gerissen und ich fand mich nach kurzer Zeit in finsterer Nacht im Trichtergelaende wieder, wobei mir jede Verbindung nach vorn und hinten verloren gegangen war. Wie ich spaeter erfuhr, hatte die Kompanie in diesem Augenblick schon schwere Verluste gehabt. Ich stolperte nun im Trichtergelaende herum und versuche mich an den aufsteigenden Leuchtraketen zu orientieren und hoere nach laengerer Zeit vor mir sprechen, ich horche, deutsche Laute und treffe auf die Stellung meiner Kompanie aber eines anderen Zuges. Da es zwecklos ist noch weiter herum zu suchen, bleibe ich bei der dort liegenden Gruppe, es ist nun schon hell geworden und da ich von dem Herumstolpern im Trichtergelaende muede geworden bin, mache ich es mir in einem Granatloch bequem. Den Tag ueber liegt schweres Feuer auf unserer Stellung. Eine Sicht nach vorne ist nicht moeglich, auch kann ich mich rechts und links nur durch Zuruf mit meinen Kameraden verstaendigen, da unsere Loecher einige Meter von einander entfernt sind. Laesst das Feuer etwas nach versuche ich zu schlafen. Auch das Essen wird nicht vergessen....

The last page later, this is harder than I thought even though the handwriting is very good.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello, last page:

...Einmal schlaegt auf den Rand meines Trichters eine Granate ein. Da ich (mich??) aber unter Decke, Zeltbahn und Dachs war ( here two words I cannot decipher ) geschieht mir weiter nichts, ich muss nur als das Feuer einschlaeft ( ? ) die auf mir liegende Erde beseitigen. So vergeht der Tag. Nach dem Dunkelwerden koennen wir uns gegenseitig mehr verstaendigen und Horchposten nach vorn schicken. Kurz vordem meine Zeit gekommen war, kommt ein Befehl vom Kompanie Fuehrer, jede Gruppe stellt einen Mann zum Verflegungholen ( ? ) zum Fort. Ich werde bestimmt, haenge mir saemtliche Feldflaschen an den Brotbeutelriemen, lasse saemtliche andere Ausruestung in dem Granatloch zurueck, dazu auch meinen vollgepackten Dachs mit fuenf Paar Struempfen, zwei neuen Hemden, Unterhose und allerlei Liebesgaben aus der Heimat, alles hatte ich ein paar Tage vorher durch die Post erhalten. Ich habe nichts wiedergesehen. Auch von den Kameraden der Gruppe habe ich nichts mehr gehoert. 

End of transcription.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Hello readers.

The history of the Jg.Btl.10 ( Hann.) lists the following losses for the battalion's first deployment at the Verdun battle:

5 officers killed or died of wounds;

5 officers wounded;

all other ranks:

54 killed;

76 missing and considered dead;

251 wounded.

At the beginning of the deployment the companies had an average strength of 150 personnel  and at the end the entire battalion strength was about 100.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 3 months later...
    • 9 months later...

I am guessing he was wounded on his way back to the fort....

My memories of Verdun

On the morning of the 3rd of June we debarked at Longuyon and set of on a march to the Kronprinzenlager. I was lucky enough to meet my brother whom I had not seen for a year. On the afternoon of the 5th we left for Ornes. The Artillery did not bother us on our way to Ornes but this changed when we reached the level of the Brules Schlucht (Ravine). We had to pass our own artillery, who were engaged in a furious artillery duel with the enemy.  We did not come through unscathed. We had a short rest in the Brules Schlucht before taking the route known to every Verdun Combatant, the route to Fort Douaumont. If the journey itself was eerie, the fort upon arrival was even more so. The Tunnels and casements were overflowing. The air is clammy and smells of blood and bandages while all around is the drone or artillery landing on the fort and the surrounding area. We exited the fort and the order was given to hold on to the bayonet sheath of the man in front. The moment we started moving showed that it would not be possible to carry out this order. Heavy artillery fire scattered us and after a short while I found myself alone in the cratered landscape, darkest night, with no connection to those ahead of me or behind me. As I found out later, the company had already suffered heavy losses at this stage. I stumbled around in the dark trying to orient myself by the glare of the flares. After a while I hear German being spoken. I find men from a different section of my company. It is pointless to look further so I stay with the group. I was exhausted after my adventure in the craters so when dawn arrived I made myself comfortable in a shellhole. Heavy artillery fell on our positions all day. It was impossible to see anything ahead of us and I could only communicate with my comrades to the left and right by shouting although only a couple of meters separated our shell holes. I try to get some sleep when the artillery fire is less intense. Food was on my mind. A shell hits the edge of my shellhole but as I was under my blanket, Zeltban and Dachs (Non Bavarian Jäger units had a badger skin on their backpack, hence “Dachs”) nothing happened to me. When the fire slackened I shoof off the earth that had landed on me while I slept. So the day passes. When night fell we could communicat better and send listening posts forward. Just before it was my turn the company Führer ordered each group to send one man back to the fort to fetch food. I was chose. I hung all the canteens on a bread bag strap and left all my equipment back in the shellhole, including my “Dachs” which contained 5 pairs of socks, two new shirts, underpants and all kinds of gifts from home which had arrived a few days earlier by mail. I never saw any of it again. I never saw the comrades from the group ever again either.