News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal variations?

• 1 month later...
    On 09/11/2022 at 19:10, Megan said:

The coinage head for King Charles III is uncrowned and set to remain so. Whether the same design will be used for medals will have to be seen.

Now that a crowned effigy has been released, will be interesting to see if regular police LSGC’s use it and Specials continue with the uncrowned version.

F8972391-71F9-423C-906A-09D48FA1ED12.jpeg

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    On 13/09/2021 at 11:32, dpk said:

Hi All,

I have what I believe are (almost) all of the variations in both the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal (1919) and the Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (1951) as shown below:

In the SC medals the obverses are- KGV crowned head from 1919 to 1931; KGV coinage head from 1931 to 1936; KGVI coinage head 'IND:IMP' from 1936 to 1949; KGVI coinage head 'FID.DEF' from 1949 to 1952; QEII coinage head 'BRIT.OMN' from 1952 to 1954; QEII coinage head 'DEI.GRATIA' from 1954 to date. All of these medals were made by the Royal Mint until about 1995 when the government, in a cost cutting measure, tendered out the manufacturing contract which was won by Birmingham Mint.

The last QEII medal pictured is a Birmingham Mint example- note the slightly softer look and the noticeable difference in the suspender compared to the earlier versions. The contract returned to the Royal Mint in 2007 and it is said their issues from that time were slightly less in quality than those they issued prior to 1995. It was announced in 2018 that the contract was to be awarded to Worcester Medals. I am not sure whether that did occur, and have not seen any medal said to have been made by them, or which I can identify as 'different' from the earlier types.

Re the Police LS & GC medals pictured, I believe they were all made by the Royal Mint although I have seen them offered on ebay occasionally with a Birmingham Mint case said to the original. I have not identified any differences in these medals, except for the metal content. The KGVI, and first 2 QEII versions were in nickel-silver and the last QEII is rhodium plated.

If anyone can advise on the later variations, or provide pics or even better offer one for sale, call me!!

DPK

SC LS medal obverses.jpg

Pol LSGC Obv types.jpg

Thanks