News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

here is a belt i have had for a while and never been able to positively identify and lives in my '?' box. The buckle design puts me in mind of the star of India... it isn't the best quality on the reverse and is devoid of any markings (the star does actually sit on its bottom two points whilst around a waist, it just didn't sit correctly for this photo however).

The lace is of the type used by some Hussar Regiments and can be found on plate 74, number 27, if you have a copy of the 1900 dress regulations to hand and has become quite dulled over the years. It carries a thistle motif throughout the entire design.

The rear of the belt is the usual red Morroco. I am thinking it is possibly Edwardian in date, but to whom i have little idea.

Any ideas gents?

Buckle detail.jpg

lace 2.jpg

20150206_135940.jpg

Edited by Patrick Dempsey

I wonder with the star and thistle motif, if this belt belongs to the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Their cap badge had a star that looked like this inside a thistle wreath under a crown.

Edited by paul kennedy

Hello Paul,

thanks for taking the time to reply. The thought did cross my mind but their heraldry with the star seems to involve the hunting horn used by rifle Regiments too (with the exception of the puggaree  badge which has their name in a scroll).

I doubt that it is Indian, as the star is used mostly by post Independence Indian forces and was not a feature of British Indian Army badges that I can think of, though its such a broad field it is very hard to be dogmatic.  I'd guess Cameronians as well.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Perhaps it is of help to note that this typical design of lace, according to the British Army Dress Regulations 1900, is numbered 27 in the appendix XII and indexed in appendex III, as worn by the 2nd Dragoons.