News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Service Medal, for a lady w/case

4761_3.thumb.jpg.5ad58d1551af3780adae226Hello readers.

I found this medal at a German dealer and acquired it because of its beauty and the case in which it came.The rim shows the recipient as Florence Edith Taylor.

In my opinion the quality of the case made for the Royal Mint  testifies to the importance put on presentation and overall appearance of this medal and not just on  higher ranking bestowals.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard Here are the details of the award.

London Gazette 19th September 1944, Supervisor, Post Office, Birmingham.

​Do you have any thoughts, Paul, as to why it was issued on a normal ribbon rather than a bow? What was the general practice for awards to women, please?

​Do you have any thoughts, Paul, as to why it was issued on a normal ribbon rather than a bow? What was the general practice for awards to women, please?

​Hello.

Thanks to Paul for the information. It is always nice to put a name with a medal. Here to me it also has additional meaning that she served during WW II. She must have experienced some German bombings with corresponding deaths, injuries and damages and certainly disruptions in the postal service.

While not very familiar with British customs regarding medalsI share Trooper's question about the bow.

Another thought occurred to me on how it made its way to Germany to be sold and now made at least a temporary pause in its travels again.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst