News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Serbian Medal

Hello All - probably not the best place to post these and feel free to move it it need be - picked these up and bought them on a whim. Appear to be Serb medals from the Kingdom of Serbia era, the 1912 one is probably from the first Serb war(?) but dont know much, so any help would be apreciated on what they are for, who got them, and most importantly what the ribbon looks like? Taking a guess at the obverse?

hunyadi,

You are, I believe, correct about the medal on the left.

The one on the right is the Medal for Military Marksmanship, which I have seen on a red ribbon. The one shown with shorter rifles is probably the 1883 version, another type with longer rifles was issued in 1927.

David

to my feeling, the medal on the left is a kind of victory medal, names of other countries are mentioned on the leaves of the laurel-crown.

Just my 2 cents...

Kind regards,

Jacky

Hallo Jacky and hunyadi :beer:

the names on the leaves are for places of battle I believe, I have observed this medal with two ribbons but I think the correct one is with the thin stripes. I make my assumption from pictures of original medal bars that have been offered for sale on the net*, ribbons shown bearing this medal are in over 65% of the pictures.

* Not fool-proof I know but a good guide. :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hmmmm - interesting. It seems that there are also two types of the 1912 medal as well. Mine is rather crude in striking, but it looks like the names are almost hand engraved into the leaves. Not sure - but the detail of the words are very differnet from the overal strike. Then there is this example below - perhaps a re-issue piece for a later date - or perhaps its the original stike? Dave - can you show any of those medal bars - would love to see them! :cheers:

Hmmmm - interesting. It seems that there are also two types of the 1912 medal as well. Mine is rather crude in striking, but it looks like the names are almost hand engraved into the leaves. Not sure - but the detail of the words are very differnet from the overal strike. Then there is this example below - perhaps a re-issue piece for a later date - or perhaps its the original stike? Dave - can you show any of those medal bars - would love to see them! :cheers:

Hallo Hunyadi :beer:

With regards two types it might just be a manufacturing variation, I think the names were part of the original strike, it would have been far to time consuming and costly to individualy hand engrave all the medals. All medals were originaly with a gilt-colour however it was a poor job as most medals encountered nowadays have lost this gilt. Your example being tarnished dosent help :(

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Dave -

yes looing at it agiain the patina seems to fill up the left side while the lower right do look more like a part of the strike. It would be a bit of wrok for an engraver to do all of that work!

Funny I thought my name was "Kevin" for the last 46 years :unsure::rolleyes::P

K E V I N in Deva :beer:

• 1 month later...

to my feeling, the medal on the left is a kind of victory medal, names of other countries are mentioned on the leaves of the laurel-crown.

Just my 2 cents...

Kind regards,

Jacky

The medal on the left side is the Serbian Commemorative Medal of the First Balkan War. instituted in 1913, and awarded to persons who participated in the war operations of the allied Balkan Christian States against Turkish Empire. Obverse displays the medieval Monastery Church of Gracanica with rising sun charged with war year 1912 and field canons; the inscription reads KOSOVO AVENGED. The reverse displays double headed eagle of the Serbian Coat of Arms within a wreath inscribed with places where battles took place. The proper ribbon is one with thin arrays of three-colour stripes. Two main variants differ in size (depending of the manufacturer).

Dragomir

• 2 years later...

Many Many thanks Dragomir! now - where to find a ribbon??? can you tell me what type of ribbon goes for the shooting medal?

I think, based on pics i've seen, that the ribbon for the military marksmanship medal is triangular with 3 stripes: blue, white and red.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would add a recent pickup to an old thread as the medal is in really decent shape with the correct ribbon. A really sharp design and the gilt on it really looks like the same gold coloration on a solid gold coin! Very nice!

Tim :cheers:

post-548-045293600 1288156143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

A little closer :cheers:

Hello Tim,

The example you have posted was produced by the Swiss firm of Huguenin Frères.

It has the silvered eyelet on the reverse of the ribbon. On the obverse near the bottom right (leaf near the cannon wheel) is the 'Huguenin' makers mark and the names of the battles on the leaves on the reverse is particularly distinct.

It was also produced by the French firm of Arthus Bertrand and a number of unidentified manufacturers in Serbia.

Regards,

Rob