News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Combat Leadership Badge

gjw

Hi all, you folks were so helpful with my last post, hope you can help with this one.

I have read that this badge was awarded for leadership in combat and then read that is was awardd for completion of a leadership class.

Whats the real story?

Would also be nice to see some color pics, all I've seen are black and white.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Greg

Hi Greg - a day at the library of the Miltiary Museum has shed the perfect light on a subject that no one could seem to answer.

8.944/eln.14.-1939.5.sz.H.K.

States that the Combat Leadership Badge is created to recognise the service of every officer in direct invlovment with front line troops from September 1st of each year. The officers who qualify for the badge can only be in service of a troop strength of a regiment or below. (During the interwar period and during WW2 most regimetns were of battalion strength) Should an offcier be transfered to a larger or different posting for a significant ammount of time, the officer would be allwed to retain the badge for wear. The officers to qualify must also be in these branches of serivce: Infantry, Calvary, Artillery, Armor, Engineering, and Regimetnal Command. The badge was to be worn mid-way on the upper breast pocket of the service, winter coat, or prarde dress uniform.

40.396/eln.2.-1937

States that the Combat Leadership Badge can be awarded to Bordergurad Colonel and below, fighter pilots of at least 3rd Lieutenant and to the offciers of the of the "armed transports" (those equiped with a medium machinegun)

The fact that it was given to officers after Sept 1st is an interesting development and may have led to the confusion that every offcier would get one after graduation of the military accademy. Every year the commisioning service is on August 20th -should then the officer's posting be to that of a unit who was a 'front line unit' the offcier could qualify for the badge. The confusion can also be seen as the offciers goign to such units would of course have to have special coursework that would have dealt with direct combat roles of the offcier in charge of a squad or platoon. The other belief that it was similar to the American CIB - being for officers who have seen combat is also plausable as during the war 2nd Lieutnants were commissioned and sent directly to the front lines where they would see action. Also offciers tranfering in from other units to lead combat units in actual combat would (if they survived to Sept 1st of that year) qualify for the badge.

AHHHH - its good to see the light finaly... :D

Edited by hunyadi

Thanks so much. Your right, it does shed quite a bit of light on I would say a little known badge like this, sure clears up a bunch of misconceptions.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

Charles,

Interesting stuff. Last Wednesday was certinly productive! I wish now that I had of stayed with you! I am off to the Museum again tomorrow. Have to shoot some pictures of two Communist era Para badges. One from my colection and one from the mueums that lives in Tama's office. I think I will pay avisit to the library myself just to look arond and see if the photocopier has arrived yet!

Regards,

Gordon