News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian Ribbon Bars

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This just arrived today-- discovered by Christian at his local flea market (obviously much better than mine) and...

:jumping::jumping::jumping: "unknown ribbons" to make me happy, as well as another country to add to my Ribbon Bars Collection. This is a REALLY thick "D" profile plexiglass/plastic/glass whatever the solid clear material with the "ribbons" painted on the flat bottom.

[attachmentid=10803]

Wouldn't you know it, the World Ribbons Website

http://www.medals.lava.pl/index.htm

is DOWN (I hope not GONE!) and so I'm not even sure which side is right side UP! :speechless1:

[attachmentid=10804]

The way the pin goes would seem to place the Soviet Union's Victory Over Japan Medal on top, but something tells me the three other ribbons go on top.

Thanks Christian!!! My First Mongolian!!! :jumping:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• Replies 145
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! Nice.

Let me dig . . . .

The web site, buy the way, bounces up and down. Checked something there yesterday or the days before, so it is alive. I hope.

According to Antonio's site

http://www.geocities.com/cintasdemedallas/asia/mongolia.gif

however, 'tis

1a- Medal for 25 Years of MPR (1946)

1b- Medal for 40 Years of the Revolution (1961)

1c- Medal "We Conquered"

2- Soviet, you know

Lovely! Envy exudes.

Ed

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

Ah! beer.gif The third one above (yellow with green edges) is their WW2 Victory Medal? I'm remembering something red and blue from the original badge and enamelled siuspension.

Homer Simpson noises-- but I love a good bit of arcane stuff.

So perhaps it DOES go

[attachmentid=10807]

[attachmentid=10808]

Has anybody got the 2004 edition Herfurth "Soviet AND Mongolian" awards priceguide? I have his 1995 Soviet-only edition, and it has colored RIBBONS in back. has the 2004 got Mongolian ribbons in color?

Guest Rick Research

Thanks! The world ribbons website I had linked to did come back up, and then didn't have any Mongolian ribbons-- I thought it had. Must have been Dave Danner beer.gif identifying my last lot (of jubilee stuff 1970s on a "party man" ribbon bar):

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2499...indpost&p=20695

What eaxctly IS the green and yellow ribbon's medal FOR? Those colors and designs don't appear to have ANYTHING to do with the design of the WW2 Victory Over Japan medal's enamel suspension. What does this ribbon match to as a medal in the book?

beer.gif

On Mongolian awards, sorry to say I have not other reference than the Herfurt Catalogues (I have 1995, 1999 and 2004 editions), as I don't collect mongolian awards...

What is described in the 2004 edition is fully in line with what Ed wrote.

About the Medal for 25 Years of MPR, just to precise that the ribbon shown corresponds to the colors of the ribbon of this Medal. The book even shows a Medal awarded to foreigners, with a soviet style suspension (pic shown in 2004 edition of Herfurth).

About the Medal "We Conquered", the ribbon shown corresponds to the colors of the ribbon of this Medal, according to Herfurth and other websites.

Ch.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks! I think I will order that book... Mongolian awards show up enough in Soviet groups that I should blush.gif know more about them.

But who conquered whom, and when-- for the yellow and green one?

Medal "We Conquered"

That's all I have on it :

Instituted on 20 November 1945, this medal was awarded to both military and civilian participants who assisted in the fighting against "Japanese imperialistic agression". Some 60,000 are supposed to be awarded. USSR personnel has received this medal.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Rick,

As requested,

Here is the Medal "We conquered", in its version awarded to foreigners, with a soviet style suspension.

Ch.

Pic : Vatjan @ www.soviet-awards.com

Rick, or others,

Just for information/confirmation, is there such a pic in Dr.Battushig's book ?

Thanks.

Ch.

Guest Rick Research

No-- it shows the very nice-- and completely different-- original 1945 enamel suspension type. There IS a "1961+" cloth ribbon bar shown (as for almost all the awards--earlier ones were quite fancy and enamel) but in his picture it appears WHITE with green edges. The ribbon is definitely YELLOW on both the ribbon bar and the scan of the foreign suspension medal though. :beer:

No-- it shows the very nice-- and completely different-- original 1945 enamel suspension type. There IS a "1961+" cloth ribbon bar shown (as for almost all the awards--earlier ones were quite fancy and enamel) but in his picture it appears WHITE with green edges. The ribbon is definitely YELLOW on both the ribbon bar and the scan of the foreign suspension medal though. :beer:

Rick,

I understand your present answer is to the one to my question (post #15)... Many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

• 5 months later...

Rather than add on to

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2430

which, while it started with ribbon bars, evolved into one of our first "miscellaneous Mongol" threads, I thought a new thread just focused on ribbon bars would be appropriate.

Here is a new and very strange one. Plastic and aluminum with what seem to be assembled-from-paper "ribbons" encased under the heavily-domed and very curved ribbon assembly (so it won't scan well). In some ways, it almost has a "DDR" feel to it. Very light, very "plastic".

Even by Mongolian standards, odd.

Tentatively:

1- Honorary Medal of Combat; Medal 50 Years of the Mongolian People's Revolution; Medal 30th Anniversary of the Victory Over Militaristic Japan

2- Medal 60 Years of the Mongolian People's Republic; Medal 60 Years of the Armed Forces of the MPR; Medal 50 Years of the Mongolian People's Army (?)

3- Medal 70 Years of the Mongolian People's Revolution (?)

Guest Rick Research

That IS an oddball! Mine are Soviet-with-Mongol-awards except for ONE "D profile" solid ?plexiglas Soviet style one with painted ribbons. I have seen several more of that same style.

DDR paper style is a new one.

Anybody else got any ALL Mongolian ribbon bars for comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

I just Love Ribbon Bars !! (even the really quite "home-made looking" mongolian ones) :cheeky:

So here is some from my collection !

Look and enjoy ! First one I have showed before but it can be seen again, I have some candidates

for this one but I have not any proof, maybe it is easier to go for the Yugoslavian order ?

Order of the Yugoslavian Flag 1st class , could not be more than one ? Mongolian that had this one..

but who? With 4 Order of Labor I am pretty sure he was a Hero Labor and maybe with some soviet state prizes ?

Christer

Edited by Bayoswede