News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Berlin-Warsaw campaign group

I have just acquired a partially researched group consisting of 2 Bravery medals and Warsaw & Berlin medals belonging to an artillery repairman. With the help of a moderator I was able to complete the translation on the award card of this soldier. :)

An abbreviation of the citation in English was already available when I bought the group. The soldier was part of the 185th Guards Artillery "Poznansky Red Banner" Regiment.

------------------------------------------------------------

Award card : Pavel Ignatevitch Olefirenko

1. Last Name : Oliferenko

2. Name and Patronymic : Pavel Ignatevitch

3. Military Rank : Guards Private

4. Sex : Man

5. Year of birth : 1908

6. Place of birth : Voroshilovgradskaya Oblast, Kreminsky Raion, Molvaika village

7. Party membership : not a member

8. Education : illiterate

9. Nationality : Ukrainian

10. Service in the Red Army : 1943-1945

11. Place of service and duty position at time of awarding: 185 Artillery Regiment, 82 Rifle Division, 8th Army - Art. Maister (that is, artillery workshop craftsman

12. Place of service and duty position at the current time : Voroshilovgradskaya Oblast, Svatovsky R(aio)n, Sovkhoz N. 10 ? Tractor driver

13. Home Address: Voroshilovgradskaya Oblast, Svatovsky R(aio)n, Sovkhoz N. 10

14. Awards:

#1 Medal for Bravery # 1 744 542

185 Artillery Regiment: 21/10/1944

#2 Medal for Bravery # 2 338 160

82 Rifle Division, 19/05/1945

------------------------------------------------------------

Oliferenko03.jpg

Oliferenko04.jpg

The second Valour Medal that has been researched was put in for a Red Star. It was approved as such by Division, but bumped down by Corps to a Valour Medal again.

Citation abbreviated (Medal for Bravery # 2 338 160)

Awarded for "fighting near Saarlandstra?e from 29-30.04.45 while under enemy sniper and MG fire, he repaired a cannon 4 times that had become non-mission capable, thus permitting continuous fire. In this fighting were destroyed 2 buildings with SMG gunners, 8 MGs, 10 Panzerfaust, a large caliber air defense weapon, and as many as a platoon of infantry."

citationng8.jpg

474199613_21e857b3d3_o.jpg

474199615_ba61747793_o.jpg

Edited by Soviet

Dear Bryan,

great, historic and fantastic group AND perfect presentation with all the additional informations you gave to us - congratulations :cheers: .

Also a great group for a rather moderate investment of hard earned bucks :D .

The 4 medals also have the "super-rare to get now plastic covers" for preventing the ribbons of getting spoiled :jumping: .

Usually, if you get these plastic covers with the medals, they are in rather bad shape, but your's are perfect :D .

What does "illiterate" mean at the section "education" :unsure: ?

Does it mean, that your comrade never visited a school or that he couldn't read, nor write?

Well, in the 1920s & 1930s the Soviets built up a rather sophisticated school-system, so "illiterate" persons in the mid-1940s should be rather rare ...

Or does "illiterate" mean, that he just finished primary school, but didn't attend any higher school?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian,

Many thanks for your comments. The group is indeed really nice with the uncracked ribbon plastic protectors. In regard to your question, I have no idea. it is just written that he is "Analphabet", so I can't comment more than that. I presume he was not to school or he was to school, but still cannot read.

He was enlisted at 35 years old and was a farmer. I guess it was just propaganda to say that the whole Soviet Union knew how to read. There are still illeterate people in Canada and Austria even with our school system. So I don't think there is a big deal with that soldier that was illiterate.

Thank you guys! I appreciate modest groupings that were awarded to simple soldiers like Olefirenko. Too bad the documents were not available with that group and that the Victory over Germany medal is not available as well. :(

Nowhere it is mentioned that he obtained the Berlin and Warsaw medal, but I'm 100% sure they belong together. I like the plastic covers as well.