News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe General Luftzeugmeister "GL"

Luftwaffe General Luftzeugmeister "GL"

This branch was thought to have been established in May of 1941.

Documentation has not been found on this organization and all information that is used in the reference books has come from photographs and militaria. The Luftwaffe General Luftzeugmeister consisted of civilian personnel who acted as Comptrollers of the weapons factories in Germany as well as in the occupied territories.

Uniforms]

Photograpic evidence suggests that members of this organization were authorized to wear the Luftwaffe field blue enlisted style fliegerbluse, with the GL chest eagle(and often seen with both the LW and GL eagles). Despite the availablity of the visor cap with the GL insignia, no photographic evidence shows visor caps in use with the GL. The only caps seen are the LW Flight caps. The standard EM LW belt and buckle are a constant in period photographs.

Uniforms of different types have been seen as well, but are yet unidentified.

Insignia

The breast insignia is a metallic LW style eagle superimposed over a cogwheel. This badge typically has three prongs, which are designed to go through the tunic. Period photos show this badge placed where the standard LW eagle is placed. Uniform regulations do not seem to have been enforced at all, as these insignia have been seen on the Left chest with the LW on the right chest, and ect.

Collar tabs. These too seem to come in many varieties.

Cloth collar tabs were gray/blue rectangular shaped patches of cloth with an outer red piping and the letters "GL" embroidered in red thread. There would be one tab per collar. Other varieties have been metallic letters "GL" punched through each collar and even patches with "G" on the right collar and another patch with the letter "L" on the Left collar. The same has been seen with the metallic cyphers(one in each collar).

Shoulder Straps seem to be the standard LW issue, but piped in Red.

There is a cloth breast eagle that consists of the eagle and cogwheel pattern embroidered in black on a yellow cloth triagle(pointing down). The letter G on the viewers left and the L on the right corners. This insignia is thought to be for the work coveralls and other work garments.

• 10 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 5 months later...

Andreas,

I like that photo a lot! I apologize for the lack of response on my behalf. I was deployed for a while.

I have just received this set, which was a European find. It is the only set of uniform I have EVER seen or heard of!!! I have no doubt of it's authenticity.

Here is the backing. There is some sort of metal plate between the liner and the sewn down patch that holds the chest insignia VERY firmly against the cloth.

Also, the set came with this jacket! I never knew that the yellow waffenfarbe was used. My theory is that the color dicated position or some sort district designator.

The jacket... I do not know if it is supposed to be worn with the bluegray tunic or by it'self. I think that this is a modified French overcoat, which seems to be commonly used by this group, based upon the photos.

The tunic is redyed Dutch captured tunic. Still really cool

• 1 year later...
    • 3 years later...

Good mornig,

very interesting thread. The last picture was taken in front of a salesroom of the Adlerwerke, who at that time (1940s) were best known for their automobiles. From 1909 to 1935 they were also involved in manufacturing airplane engines and later planes. Their HQ was in Frankfurt/Main

GreyC

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

The former HQ is no longer in use as HQ, but some parts of the buildings now serve other functions. The photo itself could show any other Adler showroom in an urban environment

GreyC.jpg

Edited by GreyC

• 1 month later...

Thanks GreyC, for sharing that magazine.   I understand now!  Very interesting.

Morton, you scored a very nice photo there.  I've never seen the winged device on a GL tunic before.  I wonder if this is some sort of rank or paygrade for a certain period of time.  I also like to see the LW civilian personnel pin on the tunic and hat.  I wonder if the color on the collar and shoulder straps is red or yellow...?  It almost seems as if it will be a sort of red.  

15 hours ago, Paul R said:

Thanks GreyC, for sharing that magazine.   I understand now!  Very interesting.

Morton, you scored a very nice photo there.  I've never seen the winged device on a GL tunic before.  I wonder if this is some sort of rank or paygrade for a certain period of time.  I also like to see the LW civilian personnel pin on the tunic and hat.  I wonder if the color on the collar and shoulder straps is red or yellow...?  It almost seems as if it will be a sort of red.  

Hello my friend!

Glad You like my photo.I agree ,seems as it will be a sort of red,

Best,Morten.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...