News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Gold and Silver Bravery medals

Hello

have not found the time to take pictures of the medals too but if you are interested in some Serbian orders go and have a look at my website under My collection any feedback would be apreciated.

Best regards from Switzerland

Milan

Haven't seen many pics of these around so I thought I'd share

Yes it's a government in exile (King Peter II) instituted medal.

I have written an article on this medal in the Serbian Numismatic society journal a couple of years ago. I have the article translated in english and I will look to get it published in the JOMSA somtime in tne near future.

Nice website-but what is the "Royal war Commemorative" medal (1941-45)?

Is it a government -in-exile award or a new one?

Hi everybody,

Ulsterman, it's my understanding that the gold medal was awarded to officers and the silver to NCOs and troops. If anyone has more to tell about these medals, please do, as my knowledge about them is limited...

I have noticed that someone changed the title of the thread though... but things rather become confusing... these gold and silver medals were instituted in 1913 by King Pierre I... so the "government in exile" addition in the title is wrong.... the "government in exile" medal discussed further on in the thread is a sidetrack to the site of ordenmaster and is not about the gold and silver Obilich medal as seen on the picture...

Hmmm-the Moderator was too fast off the hairpin keyboard there.

What sort of things got one an Obilich medal? Bayonet charge against a machine gun emplacement?

Secondly, the Chetnik exile 2nd world war commemorative(in the link) -is it made in the UK? It looks quality.

Has it been widely awarded? What's the criteria?

Hello Ulsterman,

Well, next to the medals to Serbian nationals a certain number of these medals were sent by the Serbian govt to the allied countries whose govt in turn was responsible for granting the medals to the individuals..

As for the silver medal in my collection, this was actually granted to a Belgian and the order of the day mentions:

"D'Hoolaege Charles, private, warvolunteer, 10th lineregiment, 2nd compagnie, machinegunner of excellent conduct and very courageous under fire. Has been at the front for 44 months. During the attack of Kortemark on October 14th 1918, seeing the officer in charge of the attackgroup killed, he took command of the group and attacked the objective under heavy enemy machinegunfire"

The Serb royal government of King Peter I and its successors awarded the Obilich medals while in-exile during WWI but also "at home" before and after that war. Montenegro had it's own Obilich medal.

The King Peter II award/topic probably should have its own thread.

A 1970s or '80s "Medal Collector" article addressed King Peter II's "Royal war Commemorative" medal (1941-45)" mentioned in Orden Master's August 2 post. Besides describing the award and picturing its cross and document, that article provided application guidelines inter alia. Anyone who served in WW II Allied forces could apply {and prepay} for this award through the Chicago-based "Royal Yugoslav government in exile" or its London office. I seem to recall that non-WW II Allied Veterans could apply for associate entitlement but could be wrong on that. Either John Jacobs or Robert Formhals served as the USA point of contact. Phil Weber was also involved, perhaps in the design or production of the cross.

A one page Serb/English language bestowal document accompanied the award. Original cost for the diploma and medal was about $65-$100. Purported "excess" funds generated by these transactions went to "assisting exiled persons in need." Either the ORMS or BDOS journals also published information on this award as did the "Augustian Society" monthly.

Apparently, at least two varieties or strikings of the cross exist. Both two-sided and uniface miniatures exist and appear on the market. Full size pieces crop up from time to time as well.

I have no current information on the award's active or dormant status but understand that the present head of the royal Yugoslav/Serbian family rarely bestows decorations.

• 2 weeks later...

Medal for bravery Milos Obilic was instituted on 12. 07. 1913. by the order of King Peter I Karageorgevich. Medal was assigned for "proved bravery on the battlefield" or "fearless bravery in battle".

Medal for bravery Milos Obilic had 2 clases (gold and silver) and was manufactured in Switzerland by Huguenin Frėres.

During the WW I medals were also made by "Arthus Bertrand", Paris.

Gold medal for bravery was given to officers, and silver medal to lower rank officers and soliders.

Medal was made of gold and silver gilted bronze in two sizes 36 and 30 mm.

Hello Sasayu

Thanks for the additional information. I had already noticed the difference in size. Is it so that the gold medal is 36 and the silver 30? or do both medals exist in both sizes?

Is there any way to see the difference between the medals produced in Switzerland and those in France?

Thanks

cheers from Flanders!

Hello

YES both medals exist in both sizes. The smaller ones are from Huguenin and the bigger ones are from Arthus Bertrand. There exists a third variant which is very very rare and I know only for a couple of collections having those variants. I will have to take a picture of this one next week and post it here.

What I have for proving the according of the sizes to the two different manufactury is the attached pic. This is a picture from Hueguenins original books from their archive where they stocked prints (in hard carton paper) of the newly finished dies. All in perfectly chronological order, most of them with the date when the dies have been destructed . I was taking pictures of all Serbian orders and medals I have found in this book a couple of years ago when I was doing some research for an article in a phaleristic journal about the Huguenin manufactury.

Best regards from Switzerland :cheers:

M

Hello Sasayu

Thanks for the additional information. I had already noticed the difference in size. Is it so that the gold medal is 36 and the silver 30? or do both medals exist in both sizes?

Is there any way to see the difference between the medals produced in Switzerland and those in France?

Thanks

cheers from Flanders!

found ! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I found a picture of my variant Obilic medal .

The pic is rather small, a biger one will follow next week, lets see if you can find out where the difference is to the other two types (not regarding the size) !

Cheers

M

Well,... I'm not really sure as the pic's indeed too small... but maybe the armour is drawn with less detail?

• 1 year later...

Yes, that's the one - the first issue had the maiden (representing Serbia?), but apparently it was'nt a popular design with the soldiery who preferred something rather more masculine & war like - hence the redesign within a year, I think? I should've got one but never did, could've afforded it a few years ago but spent the money on my more mainstream militaria themes.

Scarce medal for sure,

I have to say that I never saw it not even I knew it was the 1st version of Serbian Bravery medal.

I cannot say "Obilic Bravery medal" because actualy the Knight that is there represent Milos Obilic instead of this Maiden.