News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kriegsmarine in spanish waters

James Clark

Bit of info for you James,

The first military action of the Kriegsmarine came during the Spanish Civil War (1936?1939). Following the outbreak of hostilities in July 1936 several capital ships of the German fleet were sent to the region. The Deutschland, Admiral Scheer, and light cruiser K?ln were the first to be sent in July 1936.

These capital ships were accompanied by the 2nd Torpedo-boat Flotilla. Ostensively, the German presence was used to covertly support Franco's Nationalists although the immediate involvement of the Deutschland was humanitarian relief operations and the rescuing of 9,300 refugees from the fighting, including 4,550 Germans. Following the brokering of the International Non-Intervention Patrol to enforce an international arms embargo the Kriegsmarine was allotted the patrol area between Cabo de Gata (Almeria) and Oropesa. Numerous vessels served as part of these duties including Admiral Graf Spee. Uboats also participated in covert action against Republican shipping as part of Operation Ursula. At least eight uboats engaged a small number of targets in the area throughout the conflict.

On 29 May 1937 the Deutschland was attacked in the Deutschland incident off Ibiza by two bombers from the Republican Airforce. Total casualties from the Republican attack were 31 dead and 110 wounded, 71 seriously, mostly burn victims and in retaliation the Admiral Scheer shelled the harbour of Almeria on 31 May. Following further attacks by Republican submarine forces against the Leipzig off port of Oran between 15 ? 18 June 1937 Germany withdrew from the Non-Intervention Patrol although maintained a continuous presence in the area until the end of the conflict.

Torpedo-boats Luchs and Leopard.

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/deutschlan...ation_hist.html

Regards Eddie

James,

The "Saltzwedel" Flotilla under the Commander which formed it, Fregattenkapit?n Werner Scheer (September 1936 to July 1937) then later Korvkpt. Hans Ibbeken were active in the Spanish Civil War.

For the Blockade task the U-Boats were needed for they had to be ocean going boats not the smaller Type II coastal boats.

The class selected to perform this mission was the new type VII class (type VIIA), which were at the time only available in the 2nd Flotilla (Saltzwedel)

Ten U-Boats with the numbers U-27 through to U-36 were to be commissioned, however only five were operational by October 1936, U-27, U-28, U-30, U-33 & U-34

The U-33 and U-34 were chosen to take part in operation "Ursula" under the codenames Triton and Poseidon.

As far as I can tell the other U-Boats of the "Saltzwedel" flotilla were involved in various operations during the Spanish Civil War. Meaning that the following U-Boats were present:

U-27, U-28, U-29, U-30, U-31, U-32, U-33, U-34, U-35 & U-36

Regards Eddie.

Great - thanks for that Eddie. I think the last question I have is: which ships formed the German contribution to the international non-intervention force? The Deutschland (and I suppose the other larger surface vessels) did, since Germany withdrew after the Deutschland was bombed. The T-Flottille appears to have operated in supporte of these vessels so possibly did too. I'm pretty sure that the U-Boats didn't!

Edited by James Clark

Great - thanks for that Eddie. I think the last question I have is: which ships formed the German contribution to the international non-intervention force? The Deutschland (and I suppose the other larger surface vessels) did, since Germany withdrew after the Deutschland was bombed. The T-Flottille appears to have operated in supporte of these vessels so possibly did too. I'm pretty sure that the U-Boats didn't!

James,

In theory all of the ships were part of the non-intervention force, however after the bombing of the Deutschland on 29th May 1937 The "Admiral Scheer" together with the Torpedo Boats of the 2. T-Flottille (Seeadler, Albatros, Luchs und Leopard) shelled the harbour of Almeria on 31st May in a revenge attack. After this action, and the attacks by Republican submarine forces against the Leipzig off the port of Oran between 15th to 18th June 1937 Germany withdrew from the Non-Intervention Patrol.

U-boats participated in covert action against Republican shipping as part of Operation "Ursula". At least eight U-boats engaged a small number of targets in the area throughout the conflict.

In this operation was the sinking of the Republican submarine C-3 by The U-34 commanded by Kapit?nleutnant Harald Grosse.

Grosse was awarded the Spanienkreuz in Gold, the only Kriegsmarine man to receive it, and Kapit?nleutnant Kurt Freiwald (U-33) the Spainienkreuz in bronze. Because of the nature of the operations the awardings had to wait until the Spanish War was over, and they were not bestowed until June 1939.

Eddie.