News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 bar variations?

I can't find the link to an article on these that I'm looking for, although here's one to a not very informative photo on a dealers site:

<a href="http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu...s_star_bars.htm" target="_blank">http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu...s_star_bars.htm</a>

And here's a photo of a trio I bought a few months ago - the 1914 Star has a well known private purchase (as opposed to fake) version of the bar in the form of a clasp which slides on to the ribbon.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Here's a photo of a trio that I've just bought, with sew on bar, as far as I'm aware it's genuine:

Those drilled holes are very large Leigh, they're usually only just large enough to get the needle through. I'd have to have that one in my hands to be sure. Have you checked the MIC?

Tony

I know what you mean, & they encroach on the flat border around the edge. I could'nt suss it out from a photo & the lettering & spacing seem ok.

The trio's come from a reputable source who tells me that the bar is noted on the MIC so I've given it a go, I'll compare it like to like when it arrives - the important thing being that it can go back if not up to scratch

I know what you mean, & they encroach on the flat border around the edge. I could'nt suss it out from a photo & the lettering & spacing seem ok.

The trio's come from a reputable source who tells me that the bar is noted on the MIC so I've given it a go, I'll compare it like to like when it arrives - the important thing being that it can go back if not up to scratch

If it can go back there's nothing to worry about, after a few moments in your mitts you'll know if the clasp is good or not. Still, depending on the price, I'd probably keep them anyway.

Update - this trio's arrived, the bar looks ok, one of the hole's is still the original size, the others have been "reamed" by a needle of wider diameter than the hole, I'll post photos of the bar.

Edited by leigh kitchen

?225, to a Pte of 2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regt.

I have a Star to a man of 1st Wilts Regt which I picked up along with another Star & a tatty little piece of ribbon with bar at an antique market at Blackheath / Greenwich circa 1971 (a good day with the Stars at about 25p the pair & a nice Imperial German butcher blade with leather scabbard for ?2.50).

The bar is genuine as far as I can tell, but the holes have been enlargened by an "oversized" needle, which has deformed one or two of the corners slightly.

Military tailors may have been issued small diameter needles to sew the bars on with, but I would've thought it likely that some squaddies would have sewn the things on themselves, & many bars would have been posted to ex-soldiers who would'nt have had the "special" needles.

I'll post a scan of the bar concerned.

I have a Star to a man of 1st Wilts Regt which I picked up along with another Star & a tatty little piece of ribbon with bar at an antique market at Blackheath / Greenwich circa 1971 (a good day with the Stars at about 25p the pair & a nice Imperial German butcher blade with leather scabbard for ?2.50).

1971? I never thought I'd ever say someone is lucky to be that old :speechless1: My 14 Star trio + clasp set me back a whole 50 quid (2nd Royal Sussex and my 14 Star trio (ASC) was 37. I bought them about 10 years ago, prices have gone mad since then.

Yep, looks good to me too.

Mid-70's I just missed a Star with Bar trio to an ASC man (I saw it when the shop in the Charing Cross Arches was shut, by the time my mother got there the next day it was sold) - ?14.

My favourite award, the 1914 Star, don't know why I did'nt pick a load up over the years or learn a lot about them.

• 2 months later...

Some more Bar comparisons:

The left hand Star has an original sew-on Bar, with another Bar placed above it for comparison.

The upper Bar is the one shown in photos above, wth 3 of its 4 holes reamed out by a needle wider than the "No 7" which was the size to be used when sewing these Bars to ribbons.

The Bar below is slightly larger, with hcker lettering & larger holes.

The centre Star has a private purchase slide on version of the Bar, often encountered & not a modern reproduction or fake.

The right hand Star has a modern copy Bar, it has plated "antiqued" finish to it.

Edited by leigh kitchen