News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

question on red cross medal

Hi all,

here I have a 4 place medal bar and I must say that I don`t know anything about the 3.reich red cross medal on the right and not very much about the hanseatic red cross second from left... questions are:

- how often awarded?

- awarded to whom (what kind of persons)? higher or lower ranks?

- any lists of owners available?

any help is welcome, same for the red cross second from left, the hanseatic red cross. I have heard these ones were individually numbered? Any information on this cross is welcome as well, same questions as for the other medal...

thank you very much!!!

Heiko

PS: I will put this in the 3.reich AND the imperial section, hope to find some experts on this...

Hello Heiko,

probably not much of a help but the third reich award is the red cross medal is the the so called "DRK-Ehrenzeichen" 3 th model. This one was awraded between 1937 and 1939.

It ranked the lowest in the DRK awards from the above mentioned period, no numbers off awarding known towards me etc ... however a very beautifull award it seems. Are there any maker marks to be found on it?

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

I can tell you in some days if there are marks on the back, it is just in the mail and on the way to me...

I try to find out who the owner was, therefore the questions. He must have been an old man in 1937/39 because I know 100% that he has got the red cross medal in 1901 - just the name is missing... but I have 21 names to choose from - but if there are no lists to compare the names are worth nothing, or?

thank you

Heiko

c`mon Christian... put some power in your brain!!! :D You know me and you know what I am collecting, what do you think is the answer on your question.... there are not many possibilities for getting a red cross medal in 1901 and to know this exactly, I think there are only 2 possiblities.... let me know!!!

Heiko

Hello again,

now that the bar and other things from the owner are in myhands here are the better pics. We have here one of imperial germanys rarest awards... the clasp "S?dafrika 1899 1900" for the red cross medal in 2 different makings. With only 30 (!!!) awarded pieces an ultra rare clasp!!!

8 of the 30 were nurses, I would put them away, another 8 were doctors... I think they would have either more awards or must have been too old in 1937/39 ??? So there are 14 sanis in the inner circle of the owner... maybe some day I can get a name.

enjoy the pics of this rare piece

Heiko

we are all dreamers and some dreams will never end but this one... :D:P

The problem is that I am not familar with red cross awards... especially with these ones for the medical volunteer forces. Additional with these two bars there is a 1934 Hindenburg cross without swords and some medical stickpins.

still every help to get the owner is welcome...

Heiko

• 4 months later...

Heiko;

I assume you have a short list of names from the rolls of medals for the 1899-1900 clasp?

If so is it possible to check the medal records for those men to see who also won the EK and then maybe reduce your list some more?

It is a great shame there is no names on the later 3rd reich red cross medals.

Kind regards and best wishes

Matt Gibbs