News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spain - Order of Charles III-- French Made ?

MagnumRT

Hi. Could someone please help me identify this unknown European Sash Badge or Military Medal? It has a long pin on back with 2 other pins. The front has overlapping back to back letter C designs with a Roman style numeral III in the center of an oval with surrounding wreath. It is possible some type of silver with blue and green enamel. The general outer shape is a Spanish star with Fleur De Leis motif. The back has the following words in releif: No. 42 RUE COQUILLERE LEMAITRE Ft D'ORDRES PARIS. Thanks, Bill

sashbadge1.jpgsashbadge2.jpg

Guest Rick Research

It is a Spanish Order of Carlos III but beyond that I can't help. I'll change the title and move it to the relevant area for better informed help!

Thank you very much. You have already helped me out more than I could have hoped for, Bill

It is a Spanish Order of Carlos III but beyond that I can't help. I'll change the title and move it to the relevant area for better informed help!

Guest Rick Research

Aha-- here is some more:

Lemaitre used that version of their company name at that address between the 1870s (after 1872 when they were at another address) and 1901, when they moved again.

Aha-- here is some more:

Lemaitre used that version of their company name at that address between the 1870s (after 1872 when they were at another address) and 1901, when they moved again.

Thanks again Rick. With your help, I already found the exact same badge by G. Yraburo being offered on the Web, but I am not sure if that one is some type of reproduction. You may be able to tell. Bill

http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/product.htm...mp;prdid=L17623

The Yraburo piece is probably a little earlier than the LeMaitre piece (and both are absolutely right). French-made stars will often use a bit more artistic license and may thus have a greater aesthetic appeal, but the Carlos II star is very attractive in any case.

Haven't a clue, me. Data yes-- the actual THING... no idea. :beer:

I wish I had asked before I spent 5 hours searching the Internet. I guess I only need one more piece of info. Would it be considered Military, Royalty a combination of the 2 or something else if you might know. Thanks again for everything, Bill

The Yraburo piece is probably a little earlier than the LeMaitre piece (and both are absolutely right). French-made stars will often use a bit more artistic license and may thus have a greater aesthetic appeal, but the Carlos II star is very attractive in any case.

Thanks Jeff. Any idea of the age of my LeMaitre star? Bill

Guest Rick Research

Yeah-- between 1872 and 1901, as indicated by the name and address of the company itself. Lemaitre changed company name details and addresses often enough to make that narrow a time range.

The Order of Carlos III seems to have been a general purpose Order. I don't know what would have gotten one of these rather than an Order of Isabella the Catholic. But it was the senior Order by precedence, which meant even the same class of something else was not as highly regarded.

This is actually "half" of a set, the other essential piece being a cross worn around the neck. Though many times somebody with too much to wear would only actually wear one or the other-- depending on where he was.

From what I can tell, this class would have been given to someone with status equivalent to a General, though apparently it was just as likely to have been a civilian of that equivalent as anyone in the military.

• 3 weeks later...

The Royan and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III were instituted by King Carlos III, by royal certificate of 19.9.1771, with the aim to decorate meritorious individuals. The motto with which it equipped his founder to it from his creation, "VIRTUTI ET MERITO", is the best indicative of the purpose of the Order, because they would be the personal virtues and the merit reached in the service to the Crown the personal articles that had to accompany to those who attractive with were so distinguished Order.

In this purpose of awarding the merit in the service to the State, the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III respect to the honour institutions was meant of the time of its creation, and since then it has not left that character.

The Order of Carlos III are highest of the Spanish civil Orders and it is between oldest of those than at the moment they are conserved in the world.

Although modified the first statutes when the occasion made it necessary, seems that the numerous changes experienced in the social and political reality of Spain, as well as the necessity to adapt the norm of the Order to the effective legal-administrative ordering, advises the update of their Regulation in 2002

This badge if the Plaque of Commander and also exist emboridered